another bid question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by curry, Jan 8, 2003.

1. curry

curry LawnSite Member

Ive searched but havent found this situation. Im bidding on a place that includes the mowing(hour and a half) including trimming, and keeping up with a large amount of beds. The lady wants a full day (8 man hours), every week of the year. I dont think it will take an 8 hour day every week to keep up with this property but thats what she wants so I need to bid that way. I have one employee that will most likely do it himself. It is about 25 miles out of my way to do this account. I have thought about $750 per month but I think I may be undercutting myself. If this was your situation, what would you charge.

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

doubling your price mentioned gets in the ballpark...

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Roughly figuring it, if its 25 miles, thats about 1 hour drive time. plus 1.5 hours to work there, plus 8 hours for the beds. that is 10.5 hours, assuming it all can be done with one man. That is about 40 hours per month. $750 would be less than 20 per hour. Way too cheap. This account will cost you money for 750.

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

not to mention the 8 hrs of beds will drive you batty (or your help).

and why a whole day? is she trying to impress the neighbors?

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Exactly how big are these beds? I have an account that took 55 yards of mulch to cover. I spend aprox. 2-3 hours a month maintaining them. Don't let a customer tell you how long a job will take. Next thing you know she'll be telling you what time you can stop by to work on her yard. Give her a price for the month.

6. curry

curry LawnSite Member

The beds will only take approx. 2 hrs a week but she says it will take 8 hrs. I have to plan on an 8 hr day in case she has other "stuff" for me. She is being straight up with me about an 8 hr day so I need to charge for this even if it doesnt take that long. The lady lives on a 7000 acre high fence game ranch. They are multi-mill. clients. So, you are saying I should charge around $1400 a month?

7. KenH

from CT

It depends on what the minimum is you need to make an hour. For me, its 60 per hour, so I would have to bid around 2400.

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Thats sounds about right on the money for me. 1 hour drive (to and fro), plus 8 hrs per week. Thats 4 hours drive time and 32 hours per month, which equals 36 hours per month. For me its $40 per hour, so that = $1440 per month. If she does not like that price, offer her a 12 month contract, and that will lower the monthly price somewhat,but by all means try to get to at least sign a service agreement (contract), at least 9 months. 12 months will bring it down somewhere probably just under $1100 per month, based on 9 months of service ($1440 per month x 9 months=$12960). Thats about 36 weeks, that number could be lower based on number of cuts per season for your area. These numbers are for service only. Materials such as mulch and/or annual plants or shrubs are extra. Just my $.02:)

9. KenH

from CT

Greenman--Dont forget the 1.5 hours per week to mow.....thats 6 hours extra per month. You just shorted yourself $240.00 per month.:D

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Whoa! I thought he meant the 8 hours was part of the mowing.
    Thanks. That's grocery money.