Another blade sharpening question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gilatplc, Aug 11, 2006.

1. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

So I perchased this bech grinder with a wet 8 inch grinding stone I just dont know who to us it right?!
    I spent 10 minets shaping on blade??
    What Im I doing wrong. And no Im not buying a magna matic just to expencive (this hole setup was only 50 dallers)

Thanks for your help Gil

IMG_0435.JPG

2. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

please repost with spell check . but i think you want to know if 10 min per blade is too much. for a 50.00 bench grinder ,yes it will take that long.

3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

1. The LEAST expensive way to sharpen your blades effectively is to use a belt sander.

2. With all due respect, you REALLY need to "sharpen" your typing and/or spelling skills.

:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

4. gilatplc

from FL

Sorry Its Late I'm Tired I Just Spent 2 Hours Out There Trying To Get That Set Up Working Now I Only Have One Blade Done And The Grinder Isn't Working And I Only Work In The Field One Day A Week

So I Forgot To Spell Check Ssssssssssssoooooooooorrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy

5. gilatplc

from FL

OK so with a belt sander what grit do you use??

6. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

To go the cheap route get a metal rest on a bench grinder one you can adjust for the right pitch,top price at a machine shop $50 bucks.

7. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Use 36 grit to do the grinding and when finished you can use a smoother grit to put a quality finish to the blade.

Whatever method you use -- bench grinder -- belt sander-or a hand held angle grinder do it slowly . Especially with a bench grinder. Make a pass on one end and then the other end and try not to turn the metal blue.

Nosmo
    -

8. gilatplc

from FL

Thanks guys
    I just when and purchased a new set this morning and was hoping to get a set of gator to eliminate clumping in wet grass but no one had them. Just got another set of high lift blades.

Do you think Gator blades will help in wet grass in FL??

Thanks Gil