Another Blower Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Okay guys, I posted a few days ago about my blower "blowing" up and having to get a new one. I went and talked to both dealers in town today. One dealer sells Redmax and Echo. The other sells strictly Stihl and a lot of it. I talked to my Stihl dealer, and he said that if he were me that he would get the BR 420. He said he hasn't heard anything good from the people in the area about the BR 600. I went to my Redmax dealer. He doesn't keep the 8000 in stock, only the 7001. He said that the weight to power ratio was better on the 7001, and he liked it better. The BR 420 and the 7001 are very comparable. It's between these two guys. I know the guy at the Stihl dealership well, have known him for awhile as I used to go to Church with him. The BR 420 has 724 CFM without the tubes. The 7001 has 742 CFM without the tubes. Redmax only does it without the tubes so that's why I'm doing it. The 7001 is $419.99. The BR 420 is $399.99. Which would you go with?

2. Fubba

My dealer just called me and said that they aren't making the BR 420 anymore. He said the next thing is the BR 600. It's going to be $459.00.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Br600. dont fool around.

John

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, I see you live in milledgeville, I used to live there before I moved to Florida...anyways back to the question, I would say Stihl br 600. I have a Redmax 8000 that I got for ~489, as powerful as it is, the Stihl is probably just as good. Both are excellent blowers.

5. Fubba

Got the BR 600. More powerful than the 8000 if CFM is what you're going by. Just went ahead and forked out the cash. Great blower.

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the br 550. Its the same price as the br 420 and it has a larger baffle housing on the top of the machine than the br 600 meaning has a higher cfm. My dealer agreed with me when I was pointing out the differences.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

My dealer only sells the 550 to home owners. You might want to demo both.

John

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get the BR420 you won't be disappointed, it is a tried and proven 2-stroke engine that is very reliable. Most of the other units are 4-Mix and the jury is still out on those units. Don't worry about the blowing power it will be just fine, we are cutting back from BIG blowers to save some gas.

9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

I have the shindaiwa eb630 and it has a good deal more power than a stihl br420. If i were you i would get the 7001 or the eb630 and then the stihl 420 would be my next choice.