Another Blower Thread, Stihl Edition. Which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeypizano, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I decided that I can afford to spend the extra on a Stihl instead, so I am wondering a few things about them.

Right now, I am looking at the new 430, the 500, 550, and the big 600. Now, the problem is, why is the 500 more then 550? I know the 600 is the top of the line one.

Is the 550 being phased out? Why is it 30 dollars cheaper then the 500?

The 430 is supposed to be a stratocharged 2 stoke, but how does it compare to a 4 mix?

2. RTR Landscaping

RTR Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a RedMax guy, but of all those listed,I'd go with the BR600. Spend the extra $30 and get the biggest one.

3. mikeypizano

Well, its 60 dollars technically! :laugh:

But yeah, that is sort of what I am thinking about doing but I would like to see what the general opinion is first.

4. clc19chase

clc19chase LawnSite Member

get the 600 and never look back!!! youll earn that extra $60 in a day or two with time saved on blowing.

5. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

To say my true opinion I say spend the extra 60.00 and go with the BR600 Magnum.
    It will work wonders!

6. mikeypizano

I think I just might do that. Thanks.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

A very accurate and true statement...spend the little extra and go with the 600 - you will be happy that you did the thing is a very dependable beast..

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The 500 costs more because of its more complicated tube design that makes it much quieter than the 550/600. It is sort of a de-tuned 550 with an over sized muffler so to speak.

Not a lot of guys know this, but before the Stihl 4 mix's came out, Stihl bought a large quantity of Red Max strato charged engines, and then decided to shelve them and move forward with the 4 mix. Their reasoning was that the 2 stroke would be getting so over regulated that it was sure to be abolished on new machines, and they wanted to get a leg up on the wave of the future. Turned out it was really not what happened since Red Max's strato engines are so much more fuel efficient, and have so much lower emissions that std 2 strokes.

I am betting that some of the RM engines that Stihl bought and never used are what is being employed in the new BR350/430's.

Buy a BR 600 and never look back. They are excellent blowers, but be sure to run full synthetic oil in your mix with it.

9. mikeypizano

Ah that makes sense now I look at the sound ratings on the 550/500.

Why run the fully synthetic oil? I use the Stihl oil in the orange bottle on my FS90r.

What IS stratocharging?

10. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Stihl recommends using their HP Ultra oil in al their 4 mix's, which is their full synthetic. It helps the engine run cooler, along with a few other reasons.

Strato charging involves having an extra air intake port that takes in air right over the hot exhaust gases as they're being expelled. It creates an cool air layer between the exhaust gasses, and the incoming fresh fuel mix, and it acts as a barrier to keep unburned fuel from being expelled along with the exhaust, which wastes fuel, and creates higher emissions

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/articles.asp?id=138