1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another blower thread! Stihl Problems!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Aug 21, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a used Stihl blower off of Ebay and was told it ran good, but it never really had! I spent over $100 trying to get it running good, but it never really did. I replaced quite a few parts in that darn thing. It still doesn't start reliably. Anyway saving a few bucks on Ebay ended up costing me big time! I only have a few yards so as of right now a handheld would probably do me well. Later I would have to upgrade and get a backpack blower. Does anyone know of a quality handheld for around $150?

I was looking at getting a craftsmen and buying their 3 year extended we fix everything warranty. This blower will be used for a few yards, until I can justify buying a powerful backpack blower. Any opinions, I really have a limited budget. Any handhelds that are worth looking at?

Stihl has really left a bad taste in my mouth from this blower, are all of their blowers fidgety? I need something that starts first time every time. Nothing makes me madder than having to work with something to get it to work everytime.

2. moremowing

moremowing LawnSite Member

cant go wrong with stihl, husqy, but stay clear of crapsman. Maybe go with echo for the price your looking to spend. I would spend a little more and invest in the husqy blower, should last you for years. Hope this helps. More
  3. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

before going into business this year i did about 5 yards every other week. i bought an echo pb2100 hand held blower from home depot. it has worked perfectly every time. ive had it for 3 yrs. it still starts on the first pull and i still use it probably 5 times a week for the smaller jobs. at the time i bought it i think it was around $150
  4. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl blowers are good. I have one about 7 years old and still going strong. The only problem I've had is the screen on the exhaust will get blocked with oil build up. I just pulled it out after the second time. The first time it happened I used a screw driver to poke through the oil. You can just pull the screen out. That's the easiest. Maybe that the problem with yours?
  5. drsogr

So did I just get a bad egg from ebay? Should I not use this one to judge all others? I really got a bad taste in my mouth from buying my first stihl blower from ebay.
  6. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

A brand new Stihl BG 55 blower sells for $159 ! and you don't pay anything extra for the 2 year warranty !

There is no reason to buy a "service contract" for a bazillion bucks on a power blower. What can go wrong with a blower that isn't covered by warranty ? Other than running the engine without oil in the fuel [customer abuse] and I doubt that a service contract will cover that boneheaded move.

Where did you take the E Bay bargain blower to be repaired ? If it was repaired by a qualified servicing Stihl dealer, and they didn't get it right for a hundred bucks - take it back and demand some satisfaction. They are supposed to be able to test and analyze problems with Stihl products - and then they are supposed to be able to fix these problems. A good shop, with good technitions is always the cheapest place to get your service done, cause they usually know how to fix it right the first time. So, since you have paid the money to get it fixed - it's now their turn to do the correct work , and fix the %@#^*&^ BLOWER.

If you took it to some back alley scrub shop - [that's the second mistake after E Bay] - then you are probably sunk, cause they never will know what to do for it.
  7. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

Sounds like you just got a raw deal, but its not Stihl's or eBay's fault - its the seller you should be mad at. Buying used equipment is risky itself, but add in a dishonest seller and you have a no-win situation.

I have bought several pieces of equipment on eBay, but I always check out the seller's feedback first.

Good luck...
  8. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa EB630 ALL THE WAY!
  9. drsogr

Unfortunately I did check his feedback first, he had really good feedback, but only had about 20 or so items. From the look of things, he basically cleaned house, sold all of his junk and stopped using his name. The feedback that was left after I bought my item was all crappy. His screen name was callme********** with his phone number after it. I figured how could I go wrong, I had his phone number. I didn't realize his phone number was not working until after I needed to gripe at someone. Everyone is bound to be burned at one time or another..it was just my time. If I ever see him selling anything again, I will make sure to let the people bidding know that he is selling junk!
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

drsogr--dude....why dis the stihl?

the ebayer that unloaded it is half the problem.

you are the other half the problem. you tried to get a deal and instead you got burned.

don't say BS on stihl, say BS on myself and the people like me on EBAY that are always trying to get something for cheap.

if you get a good deal then good for you but if you get burnerd...only blame yourself.

GEO :(