another blower ?, yes I did SEARCH

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Mar 15, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

ok all i want to know is most guys use a backpack or a handheld for blowing off sidwalks driveways at their residential accounts after mowing. I need a blower and dont know much about them and all the search turns up are pissing matches about how much better redmax is than echo etc..

So, is it better to use a handheld or backpack for light use? Seems like not having to deal with the noise of a backpack and taking it off and on would make a handheld a better option. Either way I will be buying a redmax 7001(not 100% sure on that model#) for leaf cleanups etc. this fall.

2. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I just got a Stihl backpack blower yesterday and I LOVE it. Apparently it isnt as powerful and certain other brands BUT its perfect for my needs( resedential) plus its lightweight. I d suggest you look into that.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have a new Echo PB 230 handheld blower that works good for small jobs and it has plenty of power.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Redmax, Echo and Stihl all make good backpack blowers. Pay no attention to the pissing contests, and buy the one that you think is the best value. Don't bother with a handheld...they just don't have enough power for all around use.
  5. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

i do mostly residentials and i use a stihl 420 and a to say i like them both...ive never really questioned if i needed more power. and from what i hear wearing a redmax will eventually break your back lol

to answer your question i dont think a backpack is to much for a residential...they have so much more power than a hand held that you can practically stand in one spot and blow the whole drive way...its also great for those corner lots.
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I've got a handheld Homelite I use for small resi's, its actually mfgd by John Deere. Got it at a yard sale new for 60 bucks, and its great for residential lawns, simply because I don't have to strap a heavy blower backpack on my back. Plenty of power, gets the job done. I feel so scrubby, too! I use a backpack when doing several lawns in a row, or for comm accounts.
  7. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

We use both. Use the Redmax for the bigger accounts and the hand held for tiny props.
  8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

The backpacks are easy to put on and take off plus they are not that loud at 1/2 throttle where as with a hand held will more then likely be running at full throttle and will tire your arm out.
  9. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I didnt think about the handheld running higher rpms, good point. I guess I would save money having to buy only one blower too. Guess I save my pennies until I can afford a good redmax, looks like I'll be using my home depot crap for a little while longer :cry:
  10. Southern Elegance

Southern Elegance LawnSite Member

we use redmax 8001,s and little wonder push blowers for larger accounts but as far as hand held units it is hard to beat a stihl bg85, plenty of power and well balanced and affordable.