1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another boring hedge trimmer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

What is a better hedge trimmer: echo or weed eater? I'm looking to buy a used one. I'd rather stihl or red max, but they're quite pricey. Thanks
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

John Deere is the best in my eyes so I would say Echo
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Weed eater? Maybe if your a homeowner. Echo, definitely over weed eater. :cool:
  4. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I have a stihl articulating head and an Echo small trimmer. Both are awesome. If your using it for commercial use then go with either one. weed eater is good but I don't know if it would stand up to what it would go through commercially.

5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

It is for commercial use, but it won't be used on an every dat basis. Not that many customers request hedge trimming. Many do it themselves. I think i'll go with echo unless i can find a great deal on stihl or red max.
  6. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

Had a weed eater used it a couple times a year guess how many years it lasted ONE

so got some stihl trimmers and they are doing well so far hasn't been a year yet but stihl is pretty dependable I THINK:rolleyes:
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Spend the money and get the extended reach trimmers to start with.
  8. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I used to have a Weedeater brand hedge trimmer before it was stolen. This week I rented some Husqvarna hedge trimmers to do a job. I will never buy Weedeater again. Go with the Echo. The bigger the cut--3/4 or 1" the better and faster you can do the job.

David :)
  9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo by far. If you can get a weedeater for cheap (ie: $35 new) then go for it. I just was at wally world not too long ago and got 2 weedeater hedge trimmers for $35 a a piece. The ONLY reason I did this is because I couldn't afford a better one and I only do it a couple times a year.
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

btw these are both NEW.