Another Brush Removal Estimate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by QCS, Mar 16, 2007.

1. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

Got a question for you all........ Tanke a look at the pictures and let me know what you thnk would be a good estimate for this job? I have a number in mind, I want to see if I'm close. The area is approximately 80' wide by 60' deep. It has briars, vines, ivy (poison and creeping) and some small sucklings that have sprouted up (1" or less). Now is a good time to do it since everything dormant. The customer wants it cleaned up so that she can mow again. By the looks of it she has'nt mowed it in about 5-7 years. I will be using a Billy Goat Brush cutter and a weed eater with a brush blade for the hard to reach areas. Accessibility is also a problem, there is only about a 4' path leading to the back yard. My dual wheel wheelbarrow will be the method to transport debris from the back to the front, approx 40'. I'm figuring it's easily a two day job, one cut and the next to load up the debris. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

QCS

DCP_0007.jpg

DCP_0005.jpg

2. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

Ok, since no replies, I'm going to charge $1200 for the job. Thanks!

QCS

3. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

Couple gallons of gas and a match! I cannot figure people out. Do you really think this lady is going to do anything with this area? Who cares as long as you get paid to do your part though.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We did a job like that about 2 summers ago. It was even worse than that if you can imagine. Guy died and contractor bought it to flip it. I was somewhere around 1500 for the job. It took three of us about six hours with chainsaws, pruners, loppers, and every other cutting tool possible. We didn't have the option of getting any type of equipment into the back yard...which really sucked. All manual labor.

We had to pull everything from the back of the house to the front where we had a chipper chipping into our dump trailer. That job sucked and I remember thinking to myself I should have charged more. SO...I believe you are undercharging. But again I don't know the specifics of the job.

We rented the chipper for something like 200 bucks. We needed two trucks one to pull the trailer and one to pull the chipper. All in all my expenses (not including payroll) was something like 400-500 bucks. I came away with about a grand for three people (two owners and an employee) which is only 55 per hour...and trust me you will be busting your arse.

I would try renting a mini-skid (i.e. Dingo) and putting a grapple bucket of some kind on their. Just grab those vines with it and rip em out. 4' is plenty of room to get one of those machine by. If you are close to the house or fence or something of value get some 4x4 sheets of plywood to lay against there so you don't scratch it with the vines, limbs, and any other debris that you'd be pulling out of there. Just my two cents.

Questions...how are you removing the material and how do you plan on making the area 'mowable'? Reason I ask to me mowable means saplings completely removed.

5. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll be removing all of the debris with (2) 10 cubic ft wheelbarrows (dual wheel, mulch type). I will be using my ez dumper and 6X12 trailer to haul off site. I am figuring between the trailer/dump, I should get all the brush hauled away in one trip. The saplings are less that an inch in diameter and I tugged a couple out by hand so I don't think its' going to be to bad? I am a little worried about the roots on the briar bushes. That's not a bad idea renting a mini skid, I'm going to check into that. After hearing your response LB1234, I think I' going to raise that price up to $1650, I have not spoke to the customer yet. Thanks again......

QCS

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hard to believe that anyone who would let something degrade to this level would pay big bucks to have it cleanuped:dizzy:

7. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

I hear you....... This will be one of those good before and after examples to future customers if I get the job. If you looked at this house from the front of the house, you would never think the backyard could look like this. It's ashame because the people next door have a neat house with a nice inground pool and have to look at that mess. I would think that the neighbors will be more happy than the homeowner on this job........

8. LB1234

I agree with ed2hess about being hard to get the money out of them. He's correct if they let it go this far this long its hard to believe they are willing to drop over a few hundred on it.

That's why I mentioned my job was from a contractor who purchased the house from someone who let his house get that bad.

It could be possible that the neighnors complained to the city/township and he/she is being forced to clean it up...hence the "I want it mowable" comment.

9. LB1234

Something I just thought about...I would place a time limit on this proposal/quote as well. Looking back at the picture...there is no leaves or any new growth due to the dormancy of everything. I would provide the quote and state valid until X date or must be signed by x-date or something along those lines.

Otherwise they might be one to stick the quote in a corner somewhere and then call you in mid-may when it'll look like a jungle from the wet spring and warm temperatures.

just a thought

10. QCS

QCS LawnSite Member

Well I got this yard cleaned up. I have a feeling I'll be back again.............. I don't think this lady going to keep this looking like this, it will look like the original photos I posted on this thread. It took me eight hours (solo) to clean this place up!

QCS

DCP_0016.jpg

DCP_0017.jpg