Another Business Casuality - New guy tips.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Oct 29, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well guys I decided to call it quits on my landscaping business. I appreciate everyones help here. This site has a wealth of information, if it wasn't for this site I would have never even though to start a business. The landscape business is done and gone, but I definitely have the business bug in me. Maybe sometime down the road I will start up another business.

For those of you that didn't know I did entirely landscaping, no lawn maintenance whatsoever. I did this part time for a year, and then went full-time for a year before quitting. I left a great job to go full-time with the business. Here are some tips or advice for those of you that are thinking of going full-time.

If your personal time, your kids or your wife mean much to you, run the other way. I worked many 15 hour days trying to accomplish what I had sold. Good help is way too hard to find.

If you plan on living off of what you make, make sure you have an accountant helping you. I was way too busy to take an objective view on where money was coming and where it was going.

If you think you can just hire help and make more money...thing again. I paid above average salaries for this area, I could not get anyone to stay past 2 monthes. No one wanted to work as hard as I did.

I can make this much money part-time, if I do this full-time I will make this much. When I was part-time, things like workers comp, advertising budgets, equipment maintenance, truck wear and tear, employee tool breakage never really got factored in to the equation.

This is so much fun, I think I could do this full-time
    I had 10 times more fun when my business was just beer money. I worked fewer hours, had fewer problems, and never had to think long term. If you truly enjoy what you are doing part-time...consider keeping it that way.

Anyway, just a few tips or suggestions. I appreciate everyones help. I learned a lot about myself in the last few years. It truly shaped me running my own business. I managed to land a job back in the corporate world making more money than I have ever made, with great benefits. I am truly happy with the 9-5 world. Its amazing how much actually life you miss out on, when you are growing a business. BTW I am making more money now than I was making with the business.

Thanks guys.
    Derek

2. very good tips, I think the biggest thing people underestimate is the amount of time and sweat you have to devote to a business, good luck to your future job.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, good luck man!

4. drsogr

Thanks guys.

5. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

very open honest post there

sounds to me like if you had started before a family became your number one obligation you have made it over the hump.....I respect that you took your family and time with them as a priority.....the openness and honesty you showed in this post is surely one of the reasons you were able to transition into a nice job

good luck :)

6. drsogr

That is a very nice comment you made...thank you. If I didn't have a family, I would still be with the business, in a heart beat. I could see the potential upside there. But the fact that I came very close to losing my wife, because I had put her and my son on the back burner was enough reason for me to get out.

7. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck working for the Man. I'll never be able to go back. I like the thrill of the hunt too much and it took me most of my life to figure out I'm neither a leader nor a follower. I'm not going to be truely happy unless I'm blazing my own trail. Good luck in the future.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Derek, Excellent post and I congratulate you on knowing that family is more important than money/business.

I also believe that in the future you will restart a LCO biz with dif. objectives and with eyes wide open. That will again make it fun and profitable.

Good luck and best wishes in the future :waving:

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Good advice Mac. I know exactly what you mean Derek. Been there done that.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Derek,
    Best of luck with your new job, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Don't forget about us here, don't be a stranger. :)