1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another common problem that makes me so mad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jun 12, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

This thread goes with my other one, about my customers in Florida. When its hot out and we haven't quite hit full rainy season, we get a lot of burnt out areas in the lawns. An easy fix for the home owner would be to water regularly. BUT that never happens. I always have to get my a$$ chewed by the homeowner saying "TrueQueen informed me that this is due to a disease from a LCO". Its always me for some damn reason. If a palm dies its my fault, or if a hurricane knocks down a mailbox its my fault, you get the point. It amazes me how much common knowledge people lack these days, you wonder how people make it through life.

Oh and to all you fert companies in Florida, you guys can go screw yourselves for blaming Chinch bugs and dry spots on the lawn guys.

2. sounds like you need to take the girlfriend out on the boat a couple of days.
  3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

man.. you can't be getting stressed already? season is just starting for us here in florida..last two days for me, having the afternoon rains. :clapping: seems like us guys get the blame for everything about the yards..thats why i'm trying to get all my clients to have me fertilizer their yards, so i can control the growth! its always pass the blame to somebody else.. oh well..rained out for now..time for a cold one :drinkup:
  4. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry man you are just have a rough week it sounds like it'll get better
  5. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

But you know back when I was an applicator, I used to feel the same way. If any plant in the landscape died the nursery would immediatly ask "do you have your lawn treated?". Well then, herbicide injury.
    I knew that an LCO (not any of you I'm sure) filled his mower on the lawn, spllied gas and then told the customer a week later "it must be fertilizer burn". I could smell the gas in the soil there!
    And my all time favorite was always "my son-in-law, or my friend, is a horticultural "expert" and they say this spot is disease" While I jump up and down on my pocket knife and cant get it to penetrate more than an inch into the soil.
    "I've only been in the industry 30 years but I guess I'm not an "expert".
    It's just easier for some people to blame others than it is to actually investigate and get to the heart of the matter. But like everything else there are good applicators and bad applicators; good lco operators and bad lco operators.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

YOU ROCK ON HOMMIE ...........

and what's the deal with them calling ya and saying I'm having company over this weekend so I want to move to friday..... I say OK NO PROBLEM.....

then and it's CLEARLY stated on my invoice PAYMENT IS TO BE MADE BY THE 10 th of the month or its late...... they say O I must have forgot............

7. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Yeah heat gives a lot of problems. Zoysia seems to suffer badly. Without irrigation from the customer it's hopeless. Cutting as high as practical may help a bit. Though Bermuda which is cut low survives very well.

Sure hurts the biz. And my back and bottom when sitting on that burning seat. One of these days I'm gonna throw that leather off and bodge a woven hole cane seat on there.

Oh well, relax. It's Friday tomorrow. Can go a night out after.
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

tru green-our mortal enemy-how they stay in biz is beyond me. i have a lawn that uses them and i had to cut back to every 2 weeks cause the grass looked so bad. couldnt convence the owner to fire tru green. this went on for several years. finally one day i had some left over fert from a job and i went to this lawn and put it on when the owner was at work. several weeks later the lawn is plush and thick and i get a call-please cut every week! i spoke to the owner and conffesed as to what i did and pointed out that tru green had been skimping on fert (and every thing else!) finally he gets the point and fires tru-green!
  9. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

should have only fert half the lawn and told the customer.. LOOK