Another company sub-contracting a townhouse complex, to me!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Nov 24, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Another company subbed out this townhouse complex and something just clued me in today. We currently are servicing a townhouse complex worth about $1400 a month, but I get $1300 a month and the other company gets $100. I looked her up and found that she was looking for someone due to her illness, she couldn't continue servicing the townhouse complex.

So it has been one month and everything seems okay so far, but I just realized after talking to my partner that this company is trying to pull a fast one on me.. This complex is pretty huge and is lots of work for a solo person.

She was ill in NOV'04 after her contract was renewed until NOV'05, and we jumped in right at the start of Nov'04 to begin work.. There are tons of leaves and hedges that need to be done, hedges are like 2000ft in total and 15ft high for the entire complex.. I know for a fact that she wasnt capable of doing the leaf cleanups and doing the hedge trimming because she told me right off the bat that she didnt have the equipment to do it.. She did them last year with her husband but they had difficulties..

Now I know after the busy season with all the leaves cleaned up and the hedges completed, she will be feeling very healthy and come jump back in feb/march to take over the rest of the contract that remains..

Now, I already have the contact of every person on this townhouse complex from the strata chairperson to the maintenance committee and I talk to them on the occasion and they know us..

Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is what would you guys do in this situation? After the completion of the hedges and leaf cleanup, its a breeze from there??

Would you guys just give that account $1300 a month worth, meaning I charge $60/h for 2 people so $30 per person which works out to like 4-5hrs a week??

2. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a contract with the company that is subbing it to you, or, if they are unable to do the work, they would be in violation of their contract with the complex. Then you may be able to get it from them instead.

OR....... Bill the other company that you sub from according to your rates. Ignore a monthly charge.

I have a complex that I broke down all charges according to months done...I.E. May...trimming of shrubs.....$500.00. Fert.... 190. That way, if they cancel at the end of may, they get billed for what I did, not the monthly charges. It seems to work out pretty well. Its called a monthly allocation of funds.

I would be afraid of being stuck on that one too. Be careful and do what you feel is best.

3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good suggestion grass-scapes..