1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another company's sod job

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by pseudosun, May 21, 2013.

1. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw them finishing up on the 15th. I meant to get some scrap sod from them, but forgot to go back. I was in the area today, and saw their job has turned yellow. I do minimal landscaping, but this isn't normal for new sod huh? Do you think it was a miscommunication with the condo management about watering? It looks lost to me. Will it come back?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

2. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Somebody failed to water it. New sod MUST be watered & kept moist for at least (7) days and not allowed to dry out.

3. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Oops. Hit the do-over button. Toast.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Is it the customers responsibility to water? All depends what the agreement was. Failure to obey watering instructions is not the companies fault unless they were to be doing the watering. Who knows on this one.

5. pseudosun

pseudosun LawnSite Bronze Member

I really want to know what happened, and if the company got paid. I saw some sprinklers where the sod starts. It's a big waste.

6. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

I've seen this before, It goes dormant until the check clears:laugh::laugh::laugh:

7. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

I explain to the client all about the watering, Have a little speech I give, Dont go out of town blah blah blah. I explain it will DIE if a rigorous watering schedule is not followed for (1) week & neither I or the sod supplier offers any kind of warranty if the sod dies because client failed to water. Most understand.

I once had a old couple I mowed for & resodded (1) pallet of St Aug out front. I gave em the watering speech. The guy uses this type of sprinkler:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Melnor-Oscillating-Sprinkler-with-Metal-Nozzles/16561388

I said no no no. Wrong kind. Use this kind:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nelson-Sprinkler-Pulsating-Sprinkler-Combo-Pack/20958596

St Aug ended up dying a cruel hot death because he refused to follow my advice.

8. I would think contractor would have full control over the irrigation. If not, then no deal. The burden rests on the contractor.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Did a small repair job with sod a few weeks ago. A week later I get a call stating the sod is brown. I asked have you been watering it enough and they said was we supposed to. An here's your sign
    Posted via Mobile Device