Another consolidation today too...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfman99, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Toro aqquired Goossen Industries of Beatrice NB. Goossen maufacturers debris handling equipment, thatchers, vac's things of that like. Toro quit maufacturing them under the Olathe brand and plants several years ago. The Olathe produycts were very unpropiritary in nature and were being made by every welding shop in the country. The Goossen patents and equipment types fit in to a niche that Toro has been out of for several years.

In the next 5 years, we are going to see about 4 major players in the equipment business. Toro, John Deere and ???. Time will tell.

2. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

Although the large companies are getting larger I don't think we will see the loss of autonomy in the R&D of each subsidiary. Take a look at most large companies in other industries, Divisions still have completely seperate products they just share innovations. Sometimes it actually helps technology improve quicker. Just as long as we don't see a monopoly, but I doubt that will ever happen.

3. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I know John Deere acquired Homelite some time back. What did they do with it? I checked out their line of handheld equipment and it doesn't appear to have any resemblance to the old Homelite stuff. BTW, I had one of the Homelite (PLT 3400 I think) pro trimmers, and it was outstanding. Lots of power, easy to start, and reliable. Only complaint was that the shaft was shorter than other commercial units. Too bad someone decided they needed it worse than I did. ;)

4. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

I can see a giant MTD company coming. :mad: MTD has already acqurired Cub Cadet, which used to be about THE TOP of the line. MTD also bought the International Harvestor brand name and is selling mowers by that name. MTD bought Bolens (Troy-Bilt) and they're lawn mowers are exactly the same as any other MTD, (we had one! :eek: ) It seems that what they like to do is buy out high quality brand names and then sell junk through them-making you think the quality is like it used to be. You can see I have a hatred of MTDs, AYPs, and Murrays. ;) I'm not saying that MTD's Commercial mowers are not any good, but I ain't gonna buy one! As far as quality goes, some of John Deere's homeowner models like the LTXs (from what I've heard) are junky. Personally, I think I'm gonna stick with the older ('70s and '80s) garden tractors.

[Edited by SMB on 12-14-2000 at 03:17 PM]

5. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

mtd also make the lesco commerical mowers

6. dan35

dan35 LawnSite Member

What about SNAPPER ?

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

mtd does not own gardenway (troybilt/bolens)
    yet that is.......
    they have had a joint venture for a few years now.
    but gardenway is hurting.
    and it is going to come to mtd buying them.

8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Well, anyway, the design has been totally changed, (with our experience). Anyone heard about the Wheel Horse buyout? I heard that Troy Bilt was going to buy them out. Is this true???

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

wheelhorse was bought out years ago by toro.
    they are not going anywhere.
    only the low end troybilts were the same as the mtd units.
    the high end units were still the bolens/troybilt design.
    also, mtd has owned cub cadet since 1982.