Another costly mistake

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sunstate Lawn, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

It turns out that a 50" gravely belt driven has a hard time going up a hill. Now I have a nice big community to do with only a 36". I'm hoping I can sell off the 50" and get a rider.

Shoulda done more research.

For those keeping score, thats two points that I'm losing money on now.:rolleyes:

2. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Whats wrong with the gravely; traction, power? How steep are we talking? The first few years are an uphill battle with a small business. Keep on mowin'.

3. Sunstate Lawn

Power mostly, it gets bogged down on uphill stuff. Nothing too steep, mostly stuff like retention pond edges and the such.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

What horsepower is the Gravely? Are the belts and brakes adjusted correctly? Most hills shouldn't be a problem.

5. Sunstate Lawn

I recant the earlier statement. The gravely was sliding down the hill. The guys finally gave up and had to weedwhack about a mile of easement. I've never seen guys that hated me so much. :)I have an opportunity to buy a exmark 52" rider for 1200 from a neighbor friend that is focusing more on pools. Do you guys think it would also slide?

6. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Ask the guy if you can take it out for a spin around the block
    and see what it will do on the hill/slope Thats the only sure way I know of finding out if will slide or not
    Also check it out in both directions Ive got one bank I do that the mower will hold one way but not the other

7. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

If a W/B can't hold the hill then no way would I attempt a ZTR on it. ZTR will slide much easier than a W/B, and its obviously very dangerous to the rider if it does.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with M&S....if the walkbehind wont stick then there is no way a Z is gonna do it. Im not sure they still make it or not but Hustler used to make A Z with a longer frame and roll cage that would hold a hill better than anything out there.

Smaller mowers generally hold a lil better on hillsides....how would the 36 do???

wayne

9. Sunstate Lawn

the 36 also slid, but not as badly. If the z will slide as well, then I won't buy it. There are no other hills around, and the job is about 45 min away. Unless someone will actually let me take the mower to the site, there is no way to tell if it will work. Looks like I need to keep weedwhacking it.
    poop

10. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Snap a picture of it, and we'll give you a free analysis. :usflag: