1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another Customer from Hell

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by willjones4, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I as a matter of rule remove leaves at the curb as part of a cleanup charge. Why would you leave those leaves in the first place? :confused:

2. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

because this was a $40 cut, no cleanup was discussed.

3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I say suck it up and do the curb. If you leave the curb nasty it makes the rest of the yad look nasty, that shoould be included.
    But I have only 1 yard with a curb and its on a major highway so the traffic keeps it blowed clean.

4. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

Ya beat me to the punch. I , personally, blow off all the hardscapes . Thats included in the cut, trim , blowoff package. Honestly, to me, thats just a given.:confused:

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

He cant get it fixed because they beat him down so bad he dosnt even have lunch money!

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I tell you I learned that one the hard way but good comes of it too:

If I consider doing something special, I immediately consider if I can do it for all my customers.
    If the answer is still yes then I start doing it and keep on doing it.
    And if the answer is Oh no, then don't do it, that simple.
    It's fair, and it works.

Same thing if a customer asks me to do something extra, I consider their suggestion.
    Can I do this, and for everybody, from here on out?
    If no you can still do it this time but it costs a few bucks, how that works.

That was one of the better solutions I have found in a long time, the results are pretty much win-win.

Other notes: On those occasions where I get caught up in a mess and it's really bad, I do it that one time and kiss up and all that, and they can go ahead and rip me off because it's also over, I don't let on but that's almost always my last time out there.