another customer loyalty.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 12, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how's this for loyalty: i was the best there ever was. i was great. i mowed the best, i fertilized the best, my prices were fair, they loved me. for 4 years, they loved me. 2 little old ladies, living side by side. never had a contract with them, they were under the old guidelines, and i never saw a reason to change it. well, last week they called, and asked when i'm getting started. i told them this week, and mowing fees increased $2 per, and ferts increased $20 per season, and cleanups increased $20 each (spring and fall). now mind you, the last increase was 2 yrs ago, and it was only $1 per mow, nothing else. well, i send a man over to cleanup + fert thier properties....he reports back to me that- the properties are already cleaned, have fresh mulch in the beds, and fertilizer on the lawn. HOW'S THAT for loyalty? couldn't pay the price increase, and didn't even have the decency to tell me not to come. there ya have it. i maintain my position that- any of you guys who say you don't have problems with clients, are giving your work away.
  2. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

I raised all my prices by $2 this year. Out of 70 I've lost 2 to cost.. and they weren't loyal customers anyways. I mow 35 yards in one neighborhood that gets pounded with ridiculous flyers. Such as

"Double cutting guranteed weekly"
    "Every 4th mow free"
    "Avg price $15-$20"

well I'm gettin an avg of $32 (Avg 12k lots) now for these yards and none of them have dropped. ****.. I think I would drop my company if i saw them fliers. Actaully had a buncha calls from em wanting more services such as aeration and mulch. Man I got that neighborhood on lockdown.
  3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was with ya till he said there was fertilizer on the lawn. that's hard to see unless they just got done with it as he was pulling away. are you sure he didn't take them for himself?
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You could have probably got away with the $2 increase. The large fertilzer and the cleanup increase is what might have done you in. Probably hurt their feelings--old women can take things like this personally
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

And I maintain my position that price increases can be done, but the longer you've been in business and the more price increases you try to lay on the customer, they will eventually find a new service. you don't have to be the best, be dependable and offer good service, but price increase every year won't fly with most customers. and I know the guy that's been in biz for 3 years will say, "i raise my prices every year, yada yada yada," but get back with me in 8 to 10 years and tell me you raised every customer 2 bucks each year. I don't believe it. Price increases don't work all the time, sometimes a "corner needs to be cut", to cut down on the time spent on the account instead.
  6. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

You are absolutely right.

7. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

Are u sure your guy was at the right house:hammerhead: cause my spring clean-up doesn't include mulch..better call the customer!
  8. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Don't you send out letters to your clients saying the time of year you are going to start? If so why don't you state your price increase in that? I could see why they found someone else, they were pretty much blindsided with the increase in costs.
  9. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

A pro can easily see fert in a lawn. The point is he saw they had hired someone else.

One very important thing i learned here early on is don't ever give a "deal" cause you feel loyalty towards a customer. It doesn't work both ways.
  10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Agree on both counts.