1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Deck Size Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, Nov 15, 2003.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I've searched and read all the threads on deck size, but am still not sure what to do. I currently am part-time with only residential props and have a 36"wb. I plan on going full time this spring and want to pick up some commercial accounts if at all possible. With some of my residentials being large and possibly getting larger props I am seriously considering purchasing a ZTR. I've read in the other posts that you should get the size deck that is suited for the jobs you do. The problem is I'm not sure what kind of props I will be getting next spring so I can't really go by that philosophy. I don't want to buy something with a 52" deck and wish I had something larger, or vice versa. The price difference is minimal so that's not a problem.

With already owning a 36"wb, a small 21", a 48" JD Lawn tractor, what do you feel would be the best choice for deck size of a new ZTR? Thanks for any input.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

60 inch then you got it covered

3. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

with all the sizes you have now go with a ztr with a 60 deck or a wb with a 60 deck if you do not want to make such a big purchase:cool:
  4. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

I agree a 60"should work well for you unless the properties are extra large with few obstacles then you may want to spend the extra $$ and go for a 72". It all depends on your situation and what you must accomplish in any given day or week!
  5. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with a 60" ZTR it is almost as quick as a 72", sometimes even faster when you average in obstacles. A 60" walkbehind with a Velke or similar would be my second choice:cool:
  6. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You going to buy a 5' deck and look for a place to drive it, or you going to line up enough accounts that really need this size machine first. It would be nice that a large mower is going to be able to pay for itself.
  7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

That not helping to jump start the economy Just Buy it now LOL

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

Personallly my company has found that the 48" Wright Stander is better than the ZTR. But if you're going for the big commercial accounts, then go with the 60" ZTR. Otherwise keep the 36" and get a 48" Wright Stander. Then you'll be able to mow anything within reason. Good Luck.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Tacking a 60" ZTR on to the end of that list sounds good to me. Then go out and seek the kind of accounts the 60" shines on. Make some jack and if you find yourself using the JD 48" a bit much despite your efforts, then use some of that jack for a commercial 48" and keep the JD around to tow stuff.

The 60" Z is nice because it's a bit larger than middle class. Plus with the 60" you get a few inches of trim on each side of the machine. A 60" deck w/ 52" rear track width has a lot more trim ability to get you close to stuff or to hang out over edges. This is not true with most 52" Z's. Most have a 52" deck and a 52" rear track width.

Hey, isn't that the case with the full size 52" Lazer? Anyone have a good picture to show?
  10. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 48"w/b and a 61"ztr,if it weren't for hills i'd never buy another w/b.However I think my next mower will be a mini ZTR.Such as a super mini z about a 52/25,I think it would be perfect for small,ungated yards.But if I had to own only one,It would be a fullsize 61"-at least 27hp,suspension seat.