1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another Dumb question

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Niagara Falls, May 19, 2010.

1. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

I'm building my own pond and I just thought....how will I determine the water level?
    Other than the fact that it will only fill as high as the edge, is the overflow on the skimmer the way to determine the level?
    I have a DVD that says the level should be about 3/4" below the top of the skimmer opening. So should I ensure that that's the height of the landscaping around the pond?

Sorry if this sound so silly, but it has become a concern

2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

As you mentioned the skimmer point will be your elevation point around the perimeter of the pond. If it is a small pond you can use a line level to deterime the pond level and if it is bigger a laser transit is a good friend. Also consider the height of the waterfall so it has a nice fall to it and istn't at water level if it is a stream type waterfall.

3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to locate your Pond on the sloped site where you were originally going to place the Niagara Falls replica?