Another eBay Mower Scam - BEWARE !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Metro Lawn, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was looking through eBay and found this auction.

Item # 2376172454 '03 Exmark 52" / 23 HP - The description is of a Z rider with 0 hours. Brand new with FREE shipping from Bohn Germany. We have seen several of these in the past few months. Here is why I think it is a scam. It is a known fact that your user info can be stolen with trojan emails ect. The seller of this auction has a great feedback rating.. so what's the hitch? Look through the sellers items. It would appear they deal in baby clothes. All of the previous auctions are in German. Now all of a sudden, they are selling a popular American commercial mower at an almost unheard of price and willing to ship it for free. Oh, and the auction is in English... Don't get scammed.. Just thought I would give you a heads up on this. I actually contacted this guy before.. He offered me a great deal if I transfered the money that day.. scam scam scam.. don't be fooled

:mad:

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Thanks for the heads up Metro

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, thanks for posting this! I'm the bozo that nearly fell for the same kind of scam on a toro 355 machine from "italy". LOL! thank god for common sence!

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

The've been running this scam with Gators and Rangers. 4K for a new Ranger and free shipping! I don't think so. Ebay usually cancels their auctions before they end. Most of these people are from over seas. Like you said, they steal your user id, and place a fake auction. Some have used the same exact photo, on more than one auction.

5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Also, there is another one that I'm aware of. I bid on an Exmark. Got outbid. Next day I get an email saying "I saw you bid on such&such, and I have the same item, for less." Same thing happened when I bid on a Cub Cadet, then again with a bobcat. They all say the same thing, emails saying they have the same item, with the same HP, hours, etc. SCAM.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Over the last 6 months or so there has been a couple of auctions with pics of my 4 wheeler for sale, I just notify E-bay and they end the auctions.
    The funny thing is this site and 1 other have ever had pics of my 4 wheeler on them.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. mh1314

mh1314 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

There was a large Ferris ZTR for sale awhile back. Same stuff, when you look at the sellers history there is nothing that compares in the type of stuff being sold. In this auction they had the bidders identity blocked. If you write the people they won't give an address phone number or anything which will help identify them. E-Bay pulls them when notified.

8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Can this be reported to ebay for investigation? If so why do/t you reprot it and have them do check on this seller.

9. regularguy

regularguy LawnSite Member

I got mixed up in one of these scams also once, the fella was listing a new Dixie Chopper Xtreme Mowchine for $4000. I contacted him and he told me he sold that one but had another if I would send a bank check for the $4000. He was even able to send me a fake letter that looked like it came from ebay that said he was a reputable person to deal with. Beaware.

10. 44toy

44toy LawnSite Member

If you are interested do this, email them and say- my cousin, brother, sister, uncle, grandfather, who ever, but I usually say my brother in the airforce is the person, who lives there and says they will come by and inspect it for me, and may be able to ship it for me trough the military as his vehicle when he comes home. in the next 2 weeks? or what ever (for a legitamite seller this is a very good situation for seller.) But I have done this on two bikes and never got a reply? I assume since one guy replied to another email they were scams. I know this is a little dirty but I try to find out if these people are on the up-and-up before I send them my money. This is not a gaurantee but if they respond it is a good sign. I try to take peoples word but am still cautious of the unusual. But for my sake mix it up, if they keep getting emails saying your brother lives there from other people they will figure it out. hope this helps someone get a deal if so post your info on the deal, Cause I never seen anyone post "i got a deal from germany, aussy, etc." Maybe we should experiment with this auction if we could email the buyer in a few weeks that would help but it looked like they were hidden. A few minutes from us may make these guys decide to forget mowers guick.