1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another Enclosed Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 10, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 28' Haulmark Edge Race trailer and am wondering how well they pull at highway speeds. It is a tag with (2) 5200lbs torsion axles and load range D tires. I know how to load a trailer so I am not worried about that. I also have an idea how cross wind will affect it.

Just wondering since it is 28' (31'9" overall) and it only has 2 axles.

Thanks

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

you'll very quickly hit it's GVWR, a tri-axle, or even tandem with 7k axles would be much better. i have a 16 foot with 2 5k axles, and i have overloaded it once or twice.

3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

It says it can still carry 5300 lbs. My car is only ~3200lbs

4. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 24' enclosed and my friend has a 32' enclosed that he trailers his car in. Invest in some sway bars if you are going to be doing a lot of highway driving. And in regards to Mikes comment, correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a CDL class a for any trailer over 10k grvw

5. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

You will be fine - Here is a pic of my 28' trailer. It weighs just under 3,800lbs and I max out @ about 11,000lbs gross weight. My gassers will pull it just fine and my diesels pull it like it's not even there. I would only recommend that you get a v-nose due to better aerodynamics at highway speed - just keep it under 75 mph and you won't have any wind or resistance issues...

pic.jpg

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I really do want the v-nose but they dont offer it. The trailer pictured looks identical to a Haulmark race trailer but this one is aluminium. Wist I had that kind of money

trailer.jpg

7. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

What $ did they quote you on the trailer yer looking at???

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

$7,895, Has the RV door, Gen. door and the white walls and ceiling. O and a spare tire.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Those things pull like theres a parachute behind your truck at highway 60+ speeds. As for the swaying a weight distributing hitch with anti-swaybars will greatly reduce a crosswinds effects.

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

Are they really that bad :confused:. Who makes a nice V-nose race trailer?