1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another Enclosed Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 10, 2008.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 28' Haulmark Edge Race trailer and am wondering how well they pull at highway speeds. It is a tag with (2) 5200lbs torsion axles and load range D tires. I know how to load a trailer so I am not worried about that. I also have an idea how cross wind will affect it.

Just wondering since it is 28' (31'9" overall) and it only has 2 axles.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

you'll very quickly hit it's GVWR, a tri-axle, or even tandem with 7k axles would be much better. i have a 16 foot with 2 5k axles, and i have overloaded it once or twice.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

It says it can still carry 5300 lbs. My car is only ~3200lbs
  4. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 24' enclosed and my friend has a 32' enclosed that he trailers his car in. Invest in some sway bars if you are going to be doing a lot of highway driving. And in regards to Mikes comment, correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a CDL class a for any trailer over 10k grvw
  5. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

You will be fine - Here is a pic of my 28' trailer. It weighs just under 3,800lbs and I max out @ about 11,000lbs gross weight. My gassers will pull it just fine and my diesels pull it like it's not even there. I would only recommend that you get a v-nose due to better aerodynamics at highway speed - just keep it under 75 mph and you won't have any wind or resistance issues...

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

I really do want the v-nose but they dont offer it. The trailer pictured looks identical to a Haulmark race trailer but this one is aluminium. Wist I had that kind of money

7. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

What $ did they quote you on the trailer yer looking at???
  8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

$7,895, Has the RV door, Gen. door and the white walls and ceiling. O and a spare tire.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Those things pull like theres a parachute behind your truck at highway 60+ speeds. As for the swaying a weight distributing hitch with anti-swaybars will greatly reduce a crosswinds effects.
  10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn LawnSite Member

Are they really that bad :confused:. Who makes a nice V-nose race trailer?