Another Exmark Metro 26 Thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hovey's Lawn Care, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Hovey's Lawn Care

Hovey's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I would like some more opinions on this mower.
    I know of all the bad things have been said about this mower, however it seems like most were located far south, or west.
    I got a steal on a used one and wanted to give it a try.
    Has anyone mowed any cool season grass with a 26 metro?
    Are there things that can be done to correct the things not liked?
    How many of you have had good luck with them and how many of you feel it has a fair to good cut quality.
    I figured what the heck and give it a try as it in an ideal situation should be perfect for what I bought it for and will use it for.
    I only mowed about 4 or 5 passes with it today before I bought it and it did pretty good considering the bag is off and there was no mulch plug in the chute just the heavy steel flap door. It cut and actually put down some stripes!
    I will most likely order a new bag and the mulch kit for it.
    Thanks

2. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member

I purchased one this year and absolutely love the mower. I cut cool climate grasses, and it does put down some nice stripes in them. I bag all of my yards, so i cant vouch for mulching with it. The cut quality is just as good as my JD jx75. I'll try to get a couple pictures of a yard I cut with it.

3. Hovey's Lawn Care

cool, thanks that would be awesome!

4. lyonsroar

lyonsroar LawnSite Member

I bought one new in 2008 for residential use. I had it into the shop for repairs 4 times during that time (for relatively minor stuff but annoying considering it was a new EXPENSIVE mower). I wouldnt bother buying the mulching kit. Mine mulched better the way you were doing it (just removing the bag). Using the mulch kit left a line of grass behind the left wheel when mowing which was unsightly, especially if you're doing commercial jobs. I did like how it handled on hills and it did a fine job of bagging. In the end, I traded it for a Metro 21" and am much happier with that rig......

5. jahbp

jahbp LawnSite Member

I had one for 2 years the front wheels wobble, 4 drive belts ,2 broken handles dose not mulch, my dealer dose not even sell them any more it is a piece of crap I was ripped off for $1400

6. Hovey's Lawn Care

wow, sorry about your experience. I find it hard to believe they all were that bad? maybe so. I hope this one is a good mower. I just have it to take the place of a 21 where I really dont use that much.

7. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member

Here are some pictures from my adventures cutting today with my metro26

lawnsite.jpg

lawnsite1.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

1st year they had about 4 or 5 updates. Problem is some of the inventory carried of to the next year and lazy dealers weren't updated the machine before they were sold. Exmark called all machines back to be fixed. Some dealers didn't do anything when they came in, some users never brought them back.

We have sold a ton and have had no issues. They even recently upgraded the deck drive belt because people can't understand why they destory them, trying to engage a 26" blade in a foot of grass!!!

9. 2Ts UT

2Ts UT LawnSite Member

I was looking at getting one at the beginning of the season.. my dealer said stay away. That is all the experience I have with them. It would be nice to have something in between a 21 and 36,34 or 32. It seems like there is a pretty good market for it.

10. lyonsroar

lyonsroar LawnSite Member

My dealer, who admits to selling a ton of them, said that they continue to have issues with them. Neither my dealer or Exmark gave me much of a hassle when I traded it in for a 21" after almost two seasons of use.....