another fert ban

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Dec 26, 2007.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I have no problem with the fall date, but I would have a problem with the spring date. I start my crabgrass control about March 15 in order to get all the clients completed by about May 1st. I suspect there isn't much frozen soil by March 15.

Oh naturally--they exempt themselves--as if the county nitrogen were not a risk to ground water. And they exempt golf courses and agriculture--where a lot more acres are involved.

I suspect that scientific research and actual facts would prove that on established lawns, slow release sources of nitrogen that dissolve a little at a time would not be a problem.

3. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

They are going to use neighbors "ratting" each other out & "carbon dating" to prove how long fert has been in soil??? Wow, that sounds good for neigbor relations & great for tax dollars.......:hammerhead:

4. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

The way I read it, only "county" golf courses were not under the ban. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. We have some local bans like that in the metro Detroit area. I know of one that is no fert. apps until May 1st. I'm glad I only have a couple of accounts there. I see TG basically send every truck in on May 1st to get it done. What a PIA. I heard last year the MI Dept. of Ag was looking into a fert. law, and frozen soil was part of that, too, but no specific date was mentioned.

5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I am in the neighboring county, Nassau. This does not come as a surprise to me at all. Long Island's bays used to be a hotbed for clams, but no more. The small rivers and lakes out there are so weed clogged you can almost walk on the water. Long Island gets all of it's drinking water from deep aquafers.

Most of the agriculture on the east end of Long Island are organic operations anyway. They don't have a lot of land, the island is mostly one big suburb, so they can charge more for organically grown produce having little land to work with. Most of the farms are now wineries, and they grow grapes. I don't think they use a whole lot of notrogen.

I suspect it's the fast release stuff like Scott's that is the bigger problem. If they were smart, they would just ban the fast release stuff.... but that's a guess on my part.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

At Present time many individual Counties have passed Fertilizer Laws here in Florida. Most require a county certification to apply professionally. However the State is working on a State wide Fertilizer law at present time.

These New Laws and Ethanol issues may be changing our industry in the very near future.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I think what they are trying to do is regulate Harry Homeowner who spreads ferts until the hopper is empty and leaves the stuff over every sidewalk and driveway in sight, never knowing if he needed to apply it all.

To farmers and lawn care guys fertilizers are a huge expense. These group typically monitor their fertlizers use very well.

The constant drone of commercials on TV to go get your 4 step bags of fertilizer to Harry Homeowner, needs a 12 step program. The fertilizer companies have done it to themselves and to the lawn and farm businesses

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bill

I will agree 100% that all chemical companies are doing it to themselves.

As for Farmers and Lawn Boys I will disagree 100% with you. Read the question ask by the Typical Lawn Boy here. Most don't know Their a$$ from a hole in the ground when it comes to chemicals. They rely on this forum and their Salesman to tell them what and when to apply. But then I have also pointed out University studies that have been dumbied down for the unwashed masses. GooGle "Pink Hibiscus Mealy Bugs" The U of Florida calims there is no Chemical control. Yet I know of 3 different insecticides that controls them nicely. The tree huggers have a point about the environment, we don't need every Tom, Dick and Harry spreading Chemicals.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

So, let me ask this question: Where does one learn all of this info? Seriously. You say that dealers aren't a good source, nor are message boards, and even say the universities can't educate us. You must have learned this somewhere.... care to share where?