Another first install...be nice!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by drumbo, Nov 12, 2006.

1. drumbo

drumbo LawnSite Senior Member

I am expanding our services to include Lightscaping....well, more like adding another focus area. We have no competition (other than the general contractors who know how to do everything :hammerhead:

Regional Sales Manager, Dan Nieuwbeerta (new-birt-uh), from CAST helped me TREMENDOUSLY on this job. His guidance was the best education I could have hoped for! Which, by the way, was like a hands-on training session most pay money to go a good distance to get.

CAST and Dan are the stuff...BIG TIME!

I was sold on CAST from you guys but I will continue to buy CAST because they are every bit as good as everyone says-and more!

Honest opinions allowed...

signcompressed.JPG

pathlightcompressed.JPG

houserightcompressed.JPG

walkwaycompressed.JPG

moonlightleftcompressed.JPG

2. drumbo

couple more pics...

houserightmooncompressed.JPG

frontleftcompressed.JPG

drivewayleftcompressed.JPG

walkwayflowerscompressed.JPG

garagecompressed.JPG

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

It looks great!!! Nice job I must say:clapping: :clapping:

4. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

Look's good!has someone talked to you about angle light,on the left front you could take out middle up light and turn your 2 outside towards peak gives total different look.use on corners also makes the house look bigger along the ridges.still i say GOOD JOB if you can take pictures and post on this site with all the greif you could take I imagine your proud and should be.

5. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know anyhing about lighting but If it were my house I would LOVE it...Well done:clapping:

6. drumbo

I thought about doing that with the angle thing. Dan (from CAST) suggested that on a Georgian-style home it would not high-light the corners that are its hallmark. He also said that straight up lighting makes the over-all picture elongate and accentuates the corners and height altogether....

I am proud...yet VERY nervous to receive the critiques from you pros.

How do you post in a thread and get the pictures to appear as pictures instead of attachments? I did it before and couldn't figure it out this time...

THANKS TO ALL....!

7. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it, nice job!
    As far as the pictures, they will post if you just do 1. Two or more they list as attachments.

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

looks great... about the only thing i would change is the areas where you can see the filament of the light (the right corner pic shows this well) I would add a lens...We got into using lenses more on the last few jobs and its just that little something extra to set you a part. Perhaps an optical spread lens here would work. Dont get me wrong I have done many jobs in the past where this was left like this and the clients thrilled.

One more thing I see is the 2nd story windows in the front might be defined in some way to really help add some vertical demension to the face of the home. While its not always feesible (or sellable) it is something to consider in the future. The last house I did like this I was able to stack a 12 degree bulb with a frosted lens and louver and place it in a tree near by just enough to highlight it.

All in all OUTSTANDING :clapping:

9. drumbo

I am not sure what you mean about the filament...the only thing I can think of is when the pictures are taken, the darker times it would burn brighter into the camera appearing like the filament was more visible. All fixtures are CAST and part of their design of their pathlights is to prevent anyone from ever seeing the filament (whether coming up hill and looking up into it or from a distance) as the filament is placed below the body/stem.
    On the bullets, I would like to use lenses & such but I am so new that I wouldn't even know what is the right one for this or that...let me know some more.
    I thought about the upper section of the home as well. I wasn't sure how to light it without causing the windows to be lighted up from the inside for the occupants. Would you possibly use some flush surface mounts or deck lights to achieve this effect?

Thanks for this picture idea...it apparently works! :)

pathtreefocuscompressed.JPG

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

lets take a look at your picture here.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67992&d=1163387707
    ... If you can see the V on the wall from the bullet it was explained to me this is caused by the filament shadowing or reflecting on to the wall.
    If you might try a lens of some sort here it would make the lines soften up some. Try it at your home and experiment..maybe even take some photos of a lens vs open then compare them.

Also what degree bulb did you use in this picture ? looks like 36 degrees. A wider spread will also produce a softer light.

I do agree with you I really like the cast product... They go in... light up... and stay lit up.

Do get yourself a handful of O rings for under the hoods and some of thoes screws as well as you will no doubt come across some missing or torn when you start to go thru several of them at a time.

I didnt get a chance to see the sofit area on the second story. Some small downlights might work there. In the future try and get them to turn the lights on in the rooms with windows where your taking pictures.

Steve parrot has an outstanding article on the cast website on this subject.

We just bought a new DLSR cam and its been WAY better but still I need practice time with it.