another flow control?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by wi-dogfish, Aug 11, 2005.

1. wi-dogfish

wi-dogfish LawnSite Member

Hi, I just installed my system, seems like it works great just testing it by manual opening up the valves. I have a low flow system, designed it around 50 psi and 11.25 gpm. Used 1 1/4 main and 1" laterals. Installed hunter jartop valves and I-20 rotors. In a previous post some guys talked about turning down the flow on the valves to help the valves open and close correct when the controller is introduced into the system.
    I guess my question is how do you do this? When the water is running or off. I have the little tool. Do I close it all the way and just crack it open or should i be watching for something specifically. Thanks Jason

2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey wi-dogfish------

Are the valves you installed, 'flow-control' valves? If so, adjust the flow with the zone running, by turning the handle on top of the valve. First, with the valve wide open, start closing until you notice a change in the performance of the sprinklers, then open back up a round, or so, 'till the performance is right.

I'm curious as to what 'little tool', you are referring to.

kerdog

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

"little tool" = Hunter head adjusting tool?

Don't worry about adjustable valves, if you used Hunter jar-tops that don't have a manual flow control on them. If you do have flow control valves, you open a zone, and close the valve's flow control until it affects the flow, then open the flow control half a turn or so. Kind of like adjusting a carburetor.

4. wi-dogfish

yep guys, I have the manual adjustable flow control hunter valves. This tool inserts into top of jt-101 hunter valve and opens or closes flow. When you throttle down the flow what are you trying to do slow the flow down so you get a better spray pattern? Or does this help the valve open or close faster because it is partial closed anyway. I have a low flow in first place 11.25 gallons . Why would I want to reduce the flow anymore? Thanks Jason

5. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey wi-dogfish---

Yes, you would be partially closing that valve, if adjusted. You won't be lowering the flow, unless you closed it too much. By adjusting, it will help the valve close easier.

kerdog

6. wi-dogfish

Thanks guys, I'll adjust the flows before i introduce the controller to avoid any valve opening and closing problems. Jason

7. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

FYI, those valves (and the regular hunter SRV's) come w/ a tool or two in each case that fits the little knob that is the flow control. Most irrigation guys just use a wide flat screw driver, but the tool fits the ribs around the knob.