1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another flyer question (sorry)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by T.Heck, Feb 21, 2006.

1. T.Heck

T.Heck LawnSite Member

Just a simple run thru of must do and dont?

Also would a 50% one cut be a good coupon to put on one? I would have to put can only be used after 5 cuts.... becuase im starting out and cant afford to lose money.
  2. robbs99

robbs99 LawnSite Member

T. Heck,

I'm new to this business, but, I will never sell my service short of a dollar. If people dont like my prices, then i'll go somewhere else. That's 20 or 30 dollars that can go to new equitment, taxes, or insurance!
  3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Coupons are not a bad thing necessaily. Some of the people on this site disagree but who cares. If you can afford to do it then it may draw in additional customers. I wouldn't offer 50% off after five mows though. I would either offer 50% off first mow or "sign a yearly contract and get 50% off your first mow".

Just my two cents.
  4. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

percentage coupons do work, for the first season. Never under-cut your prices, and you will still make money. I would only offer a "deal" to get new clients to a new business. JMO.
  5. T.Heck

T.Heck LawnSite Member

I might have wored it wrong..... I would like to give them 50% off there first cut but i dont want them booking. Thats why i would want to give them one 50% coupon they could use anytime they want toward one cut after they been around and paid for 5 cuts. :)
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Not to be harsh...but if the people don't know your prices from the getgo, how do they know they are really getting that 10% off of mulch?
  7. T.Heck

T.Heck LawnSite Member

Im sorry im lost :confused:

I just want something on the flyer to make people keep it... (coupon)

But i dont want to give them much and dont wanna be cheap at the same time. I want something they could use later down the road and not on there first cut for finacial reasons.
  8. LB1234

Sorry. I advertise for aeration and place a coupon on their for 10% off. When they call I provide them with a number that is 10% over the price that I want. The point of the coupon is to make them pick up the phone and not throw out the flyer.
  9. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

When starting a business you must know how to target your customers. The majority of your customer base will be coming from people who are currently being serviced by your competition. To aquire these customers they must be a. unhappy with there current lawn care provider or b. you must offer them a better rate then they are paying now. Lets face it if they like the service of their current provider you won't get the job offering them the same thing for the same price. However these customers can still be obtained by offering the same quality service at a slightly lower price. No, I didn't say low ball, I said slightly lower price. Example: your target customer is paying $30.00 per week for mowing service, you bid $25.00, but have a 5 year plan in place to raise this to your target price. Sleazy....only to the guy that lost the account, meanwhile you just got your foot in the door. This is business, and you do what you have to do. Also, when you obtain an account try and build a relationship with your customers, I can tell you from experience that I have dozens of customers that could have their property serviced for less but because I shoot the breeze with them from time to time they stay with me. These are human beings we are dealing with, treat them that way and they will be loyal to your services for life. To many guys come in, mow, blow, and leave. Do something extra once in a while for free! Take the garbage can thats rolling in the street in the back yard, these people remember the little extras and will reward you with loyalty. Just remember they won't reward you with loyalty until they are your customer! GOOD LUCK!
  10. LB1234

Well said ace:)