Another FrankenScagMachine creation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jan 1, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I got bored today lol.
    Ok for snow plowing this year I had 4 residential drives, 3 of them good size (country drives) so I was just gonna use one of my garden tractors. One of the tractors keeps breaking the transmission mounts (yeah that’s right lol and I’m being easy on it) another one doesn’t have an engine in it yet, and so on…. Then a friend is going out of town for 2 weeks and wants me to look after his 11 small residential drives while he’s gone, and I can’t shovel them all myself, so I took the 42” blade off of my John Deere 110 (no engine yet) and took deck off of my eXmark TTHP and made a couple brackets for the blade to bolt onto the eXmark. Had to add about 85# of weight to the blade to keep the front end down (that’s what the battery and barbell weights are for of course) but it works great (pushed some mulch around with it) It was barely wide enough to cover the wheel tracks when angled so I put some steel on the ends for little wings, this makes it 52” wide. It angles left, right and straight. This setup is compact, very maneuverable, very reliable and simple so I shouldn’t have any problems with it like I have the tractors and it will be killer on those small driveways. Now if it would just snow about 3” :)

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Thats pretty cool, I wish I had half of your creativity!!!!
  3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty neat but how can you say it is reliable if you haven't used it yet?
  4. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Man i wish i could come up with stuff like that. Unfortinulity its 70 degress out here. When its normally 20.
  5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Dosnt seem that unfortunate too me! Im about ready to head to Florida! Im tired of this cold and it has just begun!:realmad:
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay Eric, now order the tire chain kit #whatwilluthinkofnext?
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The blade's only good for sidewalks & real light snow on drives.

You will definately need Snow Hogs & or chains. I use chains & Snow Hogs on the units w/blades & just Snow Hogs on the blower unit.

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks guys. The blade can still be used on the JD 110 later if I want also, just a bolt on adapter plate pretty much all there is to it to make it fit the eXmark.

KS, ahh the most pessimistic person I know online…. I have been using the mower since July and haven’t had to do a single thing to it in all that time, and it’s a few years old. I don’t think it will let me down in the winter time either. There’s nothing to break on the blade itself, it’s very very simple, really nothing to break.

Fareway, didn’t you get my private message?

I am going to be getting some tire chains in a swap with a guy soon (before next snow is predicted) so not to worry. Also remember we don’t get that big of snows here in south/central Indiana. Don’t forget I plowed with the Scag last year so I know what to expect on traction. I got rid of the deck on this one and I think it’s a little heavier of a drive unit than the Scag was, and the plow is narrower than what was on the Scag so I think it will do ok. I have another garden tractor with a single stage 36” snowthrower on it (thinking about trying to fit this to the w/b also) for deeper snows and in that swap I’d be getting two more garden tractors with blades (and other attachments). This w/b and blade will just be the preferable unit for small drives and light snows. If we get something heavy I can whip out one of the tractors, they’re just a lot less maneuverable.
    Thanks for the input.
  9. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

What up with the Grand Am.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

it's my older bro's, he totaled it so we're trying to sell it in the Trader (good engine and tranny). Why, you want it? $350 gets it. Good interior too.