Another grassy weed id please

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ATVracer, Jul 25, 2007.

1. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Can anyone help identify this grassy weed? I believe it is a summer annual as it just started popping up in June when the heat came. It grows very fast compared to the regular grass. Looks to spread via rhizomes, and it tends to grow outright and flat as opposed to growing tall. The stems almost bend at 90 degree angles at the ground. This is growing in a very high traffic area and I cannot tolerate seeing it any longer. Also what herbide to kill? I tried using a wick saturated in Roundup and pulling some of it.......hopefully the pics will show up.

0724071454.JPG

0724071455.JPG

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Looks like crabgrass to me, cuz I think I can see seed heads in the pic. If so, "Drive" will kill it.

3. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I say crabgrass too. I have been experimenting with MSMA on crabgrass and it seems to be working. You may need 2-3 applications but it might be a little cheaper then Drive. If you want quick results they say Drive is the best way to go, but I have never used it.

Good luck

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Hard to tell from the pic...but due to the root system being a rhizome, stem structure and prominant midrib it can't be crabgrass.

To me it looks somewhat like Johnson grass, but again hard to tell in the pics.

5. ATVracer

from Indiana

According to the pics in my state manual it looks nothing like crabgrass. It almost is like a corn type grass.

6. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like Echinochloa crus-galli (barnyardgrass)

7. ATVracer

from Indiana

Any other opinions? Thanks!

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

ATV,

I still say it looks like Johnson Grass!

Have you looked into this? It should be easy to find as there are not a ton a grassy weeds that have a rhizome.

Look at the following things and you should be able to id. Or put them on here and I will see if I can find it.

Does it have a ligule and what does it look like?
    Are auricles present?
    What does the leaf look like?
    Any seedheads, if so what do they look like?

Most of the ideas people give to you are weeds with a fiberous root.

If you were in OH I would know it was Johnson Grass...as it is a problem up here in side ditches and ag fields. That and Quack are the only two grassy weeds we really have with a rhizome.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Pics of seed heads would tell the story. My best guess is still a crabgrass variety, cuz johnson grass tends to be compact, grows upright, and can grow as tall as 8 feet......most common in river bottoms. Hey -- My guess rate is only about 50%, so don't blame me on this one. LOL

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

American,

Crabgrass doesn't have a rhizome! The leaf and plant in the pics sure looks like J Grass.

And...Johnson Grass can grow absolutly anywhere. It is considered a noxious weed in our coutry due to it growth habits. Glyphosate is about that only good way to take it out. It is in sideditches and everywhere although RR Beans have really helped reduce the populations.