Another grassy weed ID request

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vencops, Aug 21, 2011.

1. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I've been spraying Drive XLR8 on CG and having good results with it............most times. I've also got plants that seem to show no susceptibility to the product.

At this time of year, nearly all of these plants are mature. According to the label, that's even "better" than in their intermediate stage.

I can't figure some of these out. And, it's starting to make me go Hmmmmm.

Is this large CG?

[​IMG]

I'll readily admit that some of these grassy weeds run together (in my mind). But, I was pretty darned sure on this one.

Hit it, again? I sprayed this plant a week ago Sunday. I sprayed it again, yesterday morning. I realize that's not much time (on the second app.). But, I really couldn't tell it had even been sprayed. I can post up some photos of other CG that's smoked from the same app..

2. looks like Goosegrass.....def not large CG

3. vencops

from NC

The reddish portions had me thinking LCG.

Recommendation?

Thanks, Riggle.

4. Ven

I'm not the guy to ask about chems....hopefully Greendoc, Ric, or Ted Putnam will chime in.

5. vencops

from NC

I'm aerating and over-seedng around the middle of Sept.. I'm not above hitting it with gly..

Problem is, this grass is pretty abundant in another NEW customer's lawn. And, he's NOT aerating and over-seeding.

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I wish I had a closer picture of the stems and collar, but with the purpleish tint I would think it is Barnyardgrass. I does kind of look like Goosegrass though and since you have been spraying it that could give it that color but Goosegrass generally grows in bare areas, so I will stick with Barnyardgrass for now.

7. I just looked through my U of F weed id book and orchardgrass looks very similar so I will throw that in as well. I agree with dawg, closer pics would def help.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like dallis grass, the red tinged leaf sheath is another giveaway imo.

9. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Sure hate it that I'm not coming up with something exotic for you here but it sure looks like regular old Dallisgrass to me. It's stunted and the purple color is from the spraying it has taken, but that's what it looks like to me from the pic. Got any pic of unsprayed plants? I could be wrong but IMO it is at least a member of the paspalum family and the drive will only make it a little sick. It sucks to have to deal with that type of grassy weed in cool season turf.

10. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I was thinking Dallisgrass but did not see many wide leaves around the base but I deffently would not rule it out.

Do you have any photos of uncut plants that have the seed head? Goose, Barnyard and Dallisgrass are easy to identify with the seed heads.