Another grassy weed ID request

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by vencops, Aug 21, 2011.

1. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It'll be worth it for me to go back over there, this evening (if I have time), to get more photos. I appreciate the interest, guys.

Should I be trying to go ahead and locate some MSMA?.....lol
    Anything else I can look at for cool season turf?

I'll check with my supplier this AM, also. I'm sure I can find something going to seed in one of the two lawns.

2. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Vencops: Check out my thread especially page 4 with my pics) http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=358751&page=2

It looks very similar to what I sprayed. I am aearating/overseeding in mid Sept too. I sprayed Q4 Plus at about 3.5oz/gal. Had visual results in 48 hours. Hopefully this kills it and doesn't just injure it.

The yard I sprayed had a mix and some of it looked exactly like what you posted. I wasn't sure either but I thought Barnyard or Goose as well. Had some foxtail too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. vencops

from NC

I took several pictures, tonight. I'll post them up in a bit (after dinner). There's more than one culprit in there!

On a happy note, I got ahold of some of the good stuff for these pests. Hopefully we'll get 'em knocked out, soon.

Photos, later, of the different weeds.

4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

My supplier still has several 1 gal jugs of Trimec Plus. I bought 10 2.5 gallon jugs last yr before that ban so I would have enough. But Q4 with surfectant seems to work very well even in high temps where the T Plus was burning at temps over 85

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ven,
    I am thinking crabgrass--but I can't tell the difference between regular and large crabgrass. We need pictures of the seedhead. The seedheads are distinctive. I am guessing you don't anticipate frost in the near future. Did you use a surfactant like MSO with the spray? It's mature--be sure you mix it strong enough.

6. vencops

from NC

Yes. I used the MSO.

Most of what I sprayed is smoked. I went back over there, today. Some, looks like it isn't even hurt, though.

I'm not dealing with JUST CG. I know that, now. I can either look up this stuff (based on the seed heads) and learn that way. Or, I can post it up and let you guys educate me. Honestly, I'm gonna do both. I'll post photos in a few.

I mixed my Drive XLR8 @ 1.5oz./gal with 1/2oz. MSO surfactant/gal..

7. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

That's Dallis Grass

Goose grass has silver center

Large CG has red center where the blades come out of the crown

Charles Cue

8. vencops

from NC

Here are the pics. I posted them in the wrong forum. Sorry.

I htink this one is foxtail grass.

[​IMG]

DOn't know about these. Some show seedheads. Have to look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 2/3 are dallisgrass and 4 is cg
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. vencops

from NC

Well....my 1st stint with Dalisgrass....lol.

I'll post some pics, later in the week. I'm doing a test-spray on this, Wednesday AM. I'm going to add a little Ammon. Sulfate to try to thwart yellow-ing.