Another Great Low Maintenance Yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ed2hess, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't this real cute:dizzy: Even have fake flowers.

020.jpg

021.jpg

The HOA that I live in put rules in place that you must have more grass than gravel:clapping: Owners of several rentals mulched the entire front yard. Now there is a big fight over that.

I'll guess the car is green energy.

020.jpg

021.jpg

2. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever been to New Mexico? A lot of properties there look just like that. I can't imagine why someone in your part of Texas would want that look, though. Don't the greenies know that grass is environmentally friendly?

3. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

ha, i love how they have an irrigation/backflow box in that first pic...

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

True to a point, but at what cost. Saying that in Florida would almost make sense, until you figure the cost of fertilizer, pesticide ,fungicides and of course the cost of the water that goes on them supplied by a irrigation system.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's a perfect yard. low maintenance. lol

not good to have as a customer but good for the person that lives there.

6. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Rocks hold heat and make the house use more electricity for cooling.
    Plus, try playing football on rocks or throwing a ball for your dog to bring back...ouch!

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I was attending a lawn for a neighbor who went to live with their daughter somewhere in NJ. One night I started getting phone calls and emails that there must be a massive water leak because their water bill was $500. And they kept saying they never had a bill over $100. There was no leak don't know why the bill was so high, normal bills are $300 for small home.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

What that customer is saying is that it costs too much to have what you speak of, that is the message I'm getting.

9. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I maintain a property like that on a EOW schedule. It's all gravel/rock in the front and backyard. Just go over there with the blower to get all debris out, sweep up the mess, spray a few weeds, and call it a day. I kinda enjoy that one.

10. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

There is more to it...

We're into December, the temperatures are mild in my necks, there is hardly any evaporation, water levels should be rising...
    But they're not, our reservoirs are drying up even in winter.
    Oh, it's serious.

“The problem is not that usage is up,” said Bill Dupler, the county’s deputy administrator.
    “The problem is that there’s no rain in the basin filling the reservoir.”

The 1300-acre reservoir had dropped to 52 inches below full by last week. Earlier last week, a drought warning was issued for the entire Water Basin by the state Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).

To see the below situation in my own back yard and to foresee its implications is a sick feeling.
    These people want to build rock gardens, I'm not particularly fond of it but then again it doesn't use any water.

3p1.jpg