Another homeowner needing ZTR advice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by nutt4outdoors, Oct 3, 2005.

1. nutt4outdoors

nutt4outdoors LawnSite Member

I currently live on 1.5 acres of flat land with very few trees. Rite now I own Trouble Bilt 18/42 and it takes me close to 2.5 hours to cut only. I don't want another lawn tractor or garden tractor. They are to slow and I don't need the use of attachments. I will also, in the near future, be taking care of my wife's and my grandparents properties (range from .5 to 1.5 acres). Their lots are also flat but do have many more trees and fences (gates are not an issue, they're big). Another thing to add to the mix is I currently work shift work (4 on 4 off) and I plan to start a lawn care biz (cut and go to start then working into other areas) on the side.
    The ztr's I have been researching are the Scag tiger cub (19Kaw/48" $5999), Kubota zg20-w/48" ($5700), zg23-w/54" ($6300) & zd18-w/54", and Hustler Z, super mini Z & super Z. I have narrowed it down to these three brands due to all three have dealers within five miles from my house. The Scag and Kubota dealers have very good service departments and a very helpful staff. The Hustler dealer looks almost like a fly by night operation, but the owner tells me that he has three service technicans on site. I am a little leary of the Hustler dealer support so I am learning more towards the Scag and Kubota. The Kubota 3yr 0% interest really has me looking at them hard, but I question the power of the zd18 (probably plenty for my flat ground) and durability of the zg's. I know that the Scag will meet all of my expectations and then some, but I don't have 6k - 7k to throw down on a mower rite know. What ever I get I would like to keep the deck size around 48" - 54".

Thanks for the help,
    Kevin

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have you checked out the Dixon ztrs? We looked at some in the $4500-5000;
    Parker drive components and fairly heavy frames and decks. No direct experience on my part though.

3. nutt4outdoors

Not sure if there is a Dixon dealer close or not.

The dealers that I listed also carry different brands.
    Kubota dealer: Kubota, Cub (commerical & homeowner) & Bush Hog
    Scag dealer: Scag & JD (they might start carrying Gravely)
    Hustler: Hustler & Yazoo/Kees

4. cubbie

cubbie LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

scag is a top name in the business, and they won't let you down, like the others, and if you want to start your own business, sometime down the road you have the mower all ready and you could be mowing for the next 10yrs easily if not longer

5. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I think you are on the right track because you are looking at commercial units with individual pumps and wheel motors. As long as you stay with a good commercial brand and a truly industrial engine it should serve you well for a long time with proper maintenance.

I don't know where Beach City is, but you might check the www.badboymowers.com site and see if they have a dealer near you. These mowers are easily maintained, super tough built, use nothing but top quality, industrial components and have a great company behind them. They are priced lower than the other commercial units and a great value.

Good luck,
    Doc

6. nutt4outdoors

I really appreciate the help. I have found that trying to find a good mower with a dealer to back it up is more work than actually cutting grass!! LOL

The Kubota dealer says that they usually don't do demos but if I wanted one they said they would consider it (if I'm going to spend that kind of money your dam rite I want a demo!!). I'm really impressed with the support I get at the dealer that sales Scag (he also cares Sthil, which I have quite a few of). So, more than likely that is what I will go with next spring.

MB,
    Beach City is a small community about 30 miles east of Houston. I went on Bad Boy's site and it looks like there are a couple of dealers within an hour's drive.

7. BENTLEY'S

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

A good dealer is everything. Ask the Scag dealer if he will give you a loaner mower when yours is being worked on. If he says yes. Buy the Scag!

Bentley's

8. Phoenix

Phoenix LawnSite Member

nutt4outdoors, you’re in the same boat as I, except I have no desire to ever get back into the LC biz! Not unless the Feds do something about the illegal aliens.

With over an acre of mowing I’m in the market for new machine, I have been getting myself re-educated on all the new front mounts and ZTR’s that are on the market. I was so glade to see most Mfg’s have gotten away from the single hydra-gear/motor combo and switched to a separate pump and motor drive setup. Heavier deck steel is also a big plus. I was surprised to see JD finally came out with a deck that will last longer then a set of tires. That new 7 iron deck “LOOKS” great. As of today I have looked close (in person) at Bobcat, Kees / Yazoo, Gravely, Bunton, Grasshopper, John Deer, Bush Hog, Club Cadet, Scag, Kubota and a few more not worth mentioning. What most stood out were the different colors, different body and deck height adjustment configurations, motor Mfg and sizes of motor. However, very few had anything real different than the others. It really comes down to a person’s personal choice and what he or she thinks will be the best machine for them in their situation.

That said, I’m looking very hard at the Kubota ZD18. With Kubota’s 36 month at 0% financing is hard not to take a close look. The only thing that bothers me about the ZG and ZD units is that they run everything through the Hydro pump/PTO/wheel gear drive box. I am “told” that there is a local LC groups that has three of them with over 1000 hard hours on them and none have had any major failure.

9. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I guess I don't understand why homeowners go out and shop for commercial machines for residential purposes. If you're going to use a piece of equipment for 20+ hours/week, go out and buy a Scag, Exmark, whatever. However, if you're only mowing your own lawn and you're only talking about putting on 50 hours a year, it's complete overkill to buy a $5k+ mower. There are plenty of options available in the $2-3k range that are still more than enough tractor for your purposes. Myself, I bought an Ariens 1740 about a year and a half ago. It's even overkill for me as I think I only have about 35 hours on it now.

With regular oil changes and such, you're talking about a machine that will last you for YEARS.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix LawnSite Member

I guess if you have never owned Pro equipment before it would be harder to understand the reasoning.

1. Pro equipment is designed to last far longer than consumer or prosumer models.
    2. Resale value is much better on Pro equipment that has been taken care of.
    3. In most cases, Pro equipment has better performance and produces a better quality job.