1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another "How much do I bid" question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moose's Mowing, May 13, 2013.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing LawnSite Senior Member

Pride has nothing to do with it, I gave the guy a price based on what I need to make a profit, not just break even. Being a legit company comes with quite a bit of overhead, operating expenses, and of course money for my company and then myself. I have an hourly rate figured as to what I need to generate per hour of working to turn a profit. I'd be losing $ mowing that place for $135. Apparently my overhead is higher than the guy that's currently doing it. The customer's wife mentioned to me that he "claimed" to be insured and licensed but never showed her any documentation. I WAS able to provide proof of being a legal company. So without all that legal business stuff, maybe he is making some money on that job. Or he just made up a price to get the mowing for something to do. If I'm not making money with my machine, profit money that is, not just break even money, then it will sit on the trailer rather than lose money. I'm also not going to work for 4 hours+ just to break even on a mowing job. If I can't manage to put money in my pocket for my time spent working and running my business, I'd sooner wrap it up, sell my stuff and sit on the couch. So again, my price wasn't based on any factor of pride, it was based on basic math and logic.

You mentioned this would be the going rate for your area. What area is that anyway?