Another "How would you handle this customer" Thread...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 2, 2006.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Ok so I got this idea...
    I was supposed to go mow it again today. So far, ALL of the work for the season is on that one bill I sent him. I will show up and hand deliver the revised bill with the cleanup fee and minus the $5.50, and get a check written on the spot for that. Then once I have check in hand I will hand him a cancellation letter and get outta there... while walking back to the truck he will think I'm going to get my equipment off and start mowing, but he'll start reading the letter and about the time i'm getting in my truck and taking off, the letter will sink in and realization will come to effect... hahahaha.. I love it!

Will post back tonight and let you all know how it goes.

2. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Then drive straight to his bank and cash that check in just because he might put a stop on it.

Always be professional in what ever you are doing pertaining to your business.

Years ago before I got into the biz, I let one lawn guy go because every other word out of his mouth was a four-letter one. I have kids. The next guy stayed with me until I moved and he didn't cover the area where I moved to.

However, years later, he helped me get into the business. Funny how things come back and in a way you least expect them.

Thanks Kenny.

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Kenny. Always good to hear from you :)

I plan to hand him the bill, which is now $120.50 (One light cleanup at $60, two mowings at $33, and discounting $5.50 for the last mowing) the cleanup was just blowing a few leaves out of a couple beds and bagging the whole yard. He even said it sounded like a fair price to him though it only took 1/2 hr for me to do, he came out and talked the other 10 minutes I had alloted for the job...

So I'm going to hand him the revised bill, request payment immediately (which as I know him he won't have a problem with, too cheap to pay for a stamp and envelope if i'm already there LOL) then once I have my money I will hand him a folded peice of paper with this printed on it:

"Sir, I'm sorry but my service for your lawn care needs is no longer available. When you called me back to ask for a lower price, it let me know the type of customer you would be in the future and in an effort to reduce the amount of stress and frustration in my business, I am no longer offering my services to you. I wish you luck in finding a lawn care company that will give you quality service at the prices you are trying to get."

As I walk to my truck, he will be getting the full effect of that just as I hop in and drive off... perfect timing!

Thanks BWilder10h !!!

Will update you all later today.
    Thanks,
    Eric

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Hahaha!!! went to his place first, he opened the door and I explained the mistake about the cleanup, which I think he already realized, and he said yes thats correct (no arguement with it) so I handed him the revised bill for $120.50 (one cleanup @60, two mowings @33, one discount $5.50) he went and got my check, i got check, then handed him the letter (I actually made it longer reviewing the troubles we'd had and where he went wrong and that our company is about premium service, he's about cheapest price, etc. LOL) and said " you can read this letter explaining how we can handle this situation, while I get to work! " I went to truck, he went inside house. I got in truck and left, laughing all the way to the bank, literally! now i have cash in hand i'm happy LOL..

His yard was still lookin bad from the mis-fertilization... lumpy rows of thick juicy mixed with straggly LOL.... what a joke.....

attached is my cancel letter, anyone feel free to use it or modify and use it.

Attached Files:

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Oh! The best part is, that now all the rest of my yards are $35 and up, none of them were less than 35 so now thats my new minimum (which it was anyway but no exceptions now!) I feel really great now guys i'm going to have a killer day today!!!

Thanks for backing me in this.
    Eric

6. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda like that commercial on tv said, "Kinda my way of stickin' it to the man".