1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another "hows this door hanger look"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by luckydooley, Jan 24, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what I have. It will have about 3" above it for the door hole, and my logo and # will be added. Thanks for input.

door hanger.jpg
  2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks good. Are you going to put any color in it or just leave it as it is?
  3. luckydooley

Wausau Astrobrights Terra Green. Its kinda a lime/flourescent green. But not so bright it hurts your eyes.
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I felt like I was being screamed at... like when a poster uses all caps. A bit aggressive for me, but that is very subjective.

Secondly, this is squarely aimed at the home owner that does his own maintenance. They can be tough nuts to crack. If I had another LCO, this hanger really doesn't tell me why I should consider changing. I see this hanger as selling the idea of hiring an LCO, but no reason I should think of hiring you. What makes you different from the guy that does my neighbor's house? He does all that stuff, and I can see his work.

I don't like the premise. You are assuming they cut their own lawns. Just an honest opinion... please don't take it as other than constructive critisism.
  5. luckydooley

Ok, I see your point. Im not just trying to target the do-it-yourselfer, but I see where you are coming from. My target areas are high end residential. Any suggestions for improvement, or better wording?
    Thanks for input!
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

How about a piece that sends a message like this: We will care for your lawn like it was ours. Don't trust someone else to care for your property as well as you do? Not happy with your current level of service? yadayada....

That covers more bases. That is how I designed my hangers. I tried to push quality of service. I'd restart your stategy from the ground up here. Think like a home owner. Why should I call THIS guy? Well, if he can maintain and even improve my property better than I or my current LCO does... maybe I should talk to him.

I like a low key approach... no yelling. Tone down the use of large and bolded type. Use those things, but tone them down a notch or two.

How freakin annoying is that guy on TV.... HI! I'M BILLY SNIPES! (or whatever his name is). I'M HERE TO YELL AT YOU ABOUT THIS SPECIAL OFFER! Major turn-off for me. Same thing for the screaming used car dealer ads on the radio. I push the preset to another station as soon as they start screaming. Even more important for targeting upscale areas.

A confident low key approach is my subjective preference. Sell what makes you better, different. I advertise THREE (I just yelled) fall cleanups for one competive price (higher than everyone else, but still in the ballpark) because I would collect leaves more than once on my own property. That is different. A higher level of service. I also find that with a tight route, it's actually easier on me as a solo. Seperate yourself. Don't be just another LCO.
  7. Busa_bill

Busa_bill LawnSite Member

I don't know if this is good reasoning to some, but if I'm putting my name on a door, I'm knocking on that door. That's right, actual door to door sales in the evening and on weekends. Hangers are obviously very impersonal. I would rather go door to door on 50 houses than put a hanger on 1000. You will never be able to put enough words on a hanger to fit individual needs.

Homeowner - "No thanks. I cut the lawn myself"
    You - "It looks really good. You do a great job. Can I help you with your bed work, seasonal color? I have an idea for splitting that one large bed into two. I have access to wholesale pricing on most plants"
    Use it as a gateway to get the routine maintenance.

I'm talking about converting the DIY homeowner in mid-level to slightly upscale neighborhoods. Most of them can afford it. You just have to sell.
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I like it. The only thing I would look at for, is putting these on competition doors. You could offend pretty quick. I would network with local lco's. See most guys are filled but there phone still rings. Just me alone I gave away 300.00 a week last year, almost 600.00 a week the year before. Why my route is tight and no time to take on extra work. Knowing your limits is key in this business.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I like it a lot. Good job.
  10. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

You make alot of sense!!