Another Hydro Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RobH, Jun 21, 2004.

1. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I am actually looking to buy a hydro w/b. I currently have a belt-drive.

Do you not have to squeeze the handles as much or as hard to get a hydro to turn? Is is it because that it is hydro that it is easier to turn a little left or a little right? Basically more of a feather touch of the handles.

I know you guys always talk about the hand fatigue on a belt drive and carpal tunnel syndrome. I know my hands get sore after using the machine for a few hours.

I gotta go test drive one.
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I believe the hand fatigue is primarily a result of using the pistol grips. Maybe the belt-drives take a bit more pressure, but I think the Hydro pistols still aggravate the hands of those susceptible to carpal tunnel.

Have you considered an alternate control system such as the Hustler or the Toro T-Bar? I've got a Hydro T-Bar unit and I can tell you they are simple to control and easy on the hands as well.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

ok rob--here's all you need to know.

with a pistol grip belt drive, to turn you generally give a neutral squeeze to the turning side OR you squeeze more to enact the turning side brake.

with a pistol grip hydro, the squeeze of the grip regulates the flow of fluid to the hydro drrive and you turn.

as for a mower to mower comparison, I dunno.

there are more types of handle configurations than pistol.

EXMARK ECS, toro t-bar and the hustler come to mind. I think cub cadet/lesco even have something new

I say check out all of them before you buy.

4. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

I run a Scag 61" hydro w/b it is much easier to turn than belt drives. To me it is faster than belt drives because you just squeeze them all the way and your in reverse, you dont have to worry about having to use your knees to switch gears. Like I said it is a whole lot easier than belt drives. Have fun demoing them.
  5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Thinking again about weather to get a hydo,if you don't!!!!!!!! it wll be the biggest mistake you have made.Your productivty,ease of operation,no pulling or jerking,it is all finesse in your finger tips,a velke and electic start and you will be cutting your costs by 20 percent at the least.......