Another; hydro vs belt ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oceanpotion, Feb 18, 2007.

1. oceanpotion

oceanpotion LawnSite Member

Ok guys, I already ran a search and read some great threads comparing the differences between hydro/belt drives. Still a little curious though...

Tell me if this is right: The hydro is alot more forgiving, as far as labor and ease of use. The hydro is obviously more expensive.

Im under the impression that the belt drive is a whole lot easier for a novice level mechanic, such as myself, to work on. Generally speaking, would you agree that the belt drives are less complicated/easier to replace parts on/etc?

Which would be considered more durable, given routine maint. and TLC? Is one generally more rigid than the other?
  2. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with the hydro. I had a Toro 32" W/B that was belt driven and I hated it. Everytime the belts got a little wet from dew on the ground it was next to impossible to move it.
  3. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

What will you be using this mower for? The belt drives are fine for open yards and are great for slopes. The hydros are better for landscaped areas with more backing and tight turns. If the price is not a problem I would go with the hydro. Just my 2 cents.
  4. nograss

nograss LawnSite Member

Hydro is the way to go if you are going into the business and planning to stay in business. Resale/trade is alot higher. Time in doing the job is faster. Wet weather makes the hydro useless. Either one is easy to work on. The higher cost is a made up in all the above.
  5. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

I'de go hydro, the wet belts will make you:realmad: . From my experience thee belts need adjusting often too, a real pain.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

hydros are the cadillacs compared to belt drives
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't use a belt if it was free.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes the belt is easier to work on than the hydro. Work on it yoiu will. Belts wear out you replace them. My hydros rarely have anything besides scheduled maintenance. Time savings using a hydro more than make up for the extra cost. As Rod said I won't use a belt.
  9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you buy a new hydro, unless you get a lemon, all you'll do for several years is change the hydro oil and filter. And only once a year with the Exmark.....
  10. ScagBoy09

ScagBoy09 LawnSite Member

Unless you like to deal with slipping belts, no instant reverse, etc., get a hydro. Just look at my sig...