1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Another #@@%@ing ROPS casualty.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 4, 2006.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just got myself my second Kubota ZD28 / 60" deck.

I traded in a 2002 Ferris IS4000 I had.

I wanted the dealer to take the ROPS off for me, but they said no way, no how.

I remember how heavy it is compared to my 2004 ZD28, which I promptly took the ROPS off after 1 time around the first yard, ripping 3 tree branches off. I'm not about to go trim all of my customer's trees up to 6'.

Well... anyways, just picked this mower up, 3rd yard I'm doing. 7 pm, gas station because it's a slow time for them....

Come around a corner, go past the pricing sign... ((((BAM))) not even going that fast, I JUST came around the corner.

I even had the ROPS folded over, still caught it with the upright....

Needless to say, I'm home now, taking this ROPS off too....

050406_1934a.jpg

050406_1934b.jpg

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Dang, ya'll got cheap gas at $2.75 a gallon!

3. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

not the mowers fault

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

LOL it's my favorite fuel too, but those signs ain't cheap.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

That was what I was thinking when I looked at the sign too!
    looked at the price before i looked at the damage.

6. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

You a midget or something? How the hell did you catch the sign and miss your head ?

lol

You need to slow down.

7. LwnmwrMan22

I know it's not the mower's fault, but when all you run on is flat ground, you should have the option of not having the ROPS on or not straight from the dealer.

They don't even have to show a credit, in fact charge more for deleting it, so most guys wouldn't have it.

If you look at the second picture, it's 70", give or take between the base of the sign and the curb. It's that area that I was mowing, however the sign sticks out about 30" from the edge of the base.

I can mow between the sign and the curb, with the wheel of the mower, along with the edge of the deck easily going under the "overhang" of the sign.

Also, in the second picture, quite literally 1' to the left is the corner that I came around, so I didn't even have enough time to pick up speed, nevermind the fact that I had a 5 gallon bucket of garbage I was picking up on the property while I was mowing.

All the sign is, is sheet metal screws, screwed into plastic. It just blew up when I hit it.

8. LwnmwrMan22

I was thinking about this in the shower this morning, and you know, you're right, it's technically not the mower's fault.

It's not OSHA's fault, it's not the engineer's fault.

It's completely my fault, and I'll pay for the damages, which I'm assuming will be about $800-$1000.

I've been doing this property for 11 years now. Always just mowed between the base of the sign and the curb.

Now, with the ROPS on, all trees and other obstacles I have on properties, I'll have to trim out another 20" +/- since I cannot run underneath them and lean over in the seat, since the bottom 1/2 of the ROPS still sticks up.

To me, it IS a design flaw. It should fold down closer to the tire, at least lower than the top edge of the seatback, so you can still get into these areas.

It just causes more work, whether extra trimming, or taking a push mower and using around these low, wide obstacles.

9. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

Remember, just because you are in an area without slopes does not mean you are safe from turn over. Many roll over accidents that have resulted in serious injury and death were the result of going into ditches or during loading on trailers.

10. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

same here...:laugh: