another installation question (or two)...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ed G, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

I'm replacing some of my 1" pvc main line with 1 -1/4" pvc.

The main line will run by pool equipment that was recently installed (within 4 feet of the filter).

It sure would be nice to have a hose bib next to the pool filter...any problem with connecting a water line off of my irrigation main line?

Sprinklers most likely won't ever be run at the same time hosed is used.

anyone know of a cheap source for pre-assembled swing joints?

2. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

No problems with running it off of the irrigation line, I would recommend that you run copper up out of the ground or install a quick coupler that way it can't be broken off.

Any irrigation supply house should have swing joints.

3. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Or install a Woodford solid brass frost-free (with brass guts also), poured in concrete. Make sure to tape the pipe when setting in concrete so as not to stain the brass! :) That's how we do it!

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I bet those frostfree drains work quite well incased in concrete.

We prefer to use some drainrock aroudn the drain, and drive and clamp a T-post for support, as well as using a 3/4" poly swing joint on the hydrant just incase someone decides to bean it with a ZTR.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Since you're likely in a non-freeze zone either a hose bibb or 3/4" QCV (then use a 3/4" QC key with hose swivel attached to use the water) can be installed off the main line. You can install these anywhere along the main line route where you think you may need water or even trench them over to advantageous out-of-the-way locations. Probably will be limited to using only one of them at any given time but the less hose you have to drag for special projects the better. It just depends on how creative you want to be and whether or not you want anything exposed above the ground. However, a hose bibb will be cheaper. :)

6. Ed G

Ed G LawnSite Member

thanks guys.

Now that I know it's okay to tap into the mainline...

how about a cheap source for swing joint assemblies? I'm investing so much $$ into this re-do project I honestly don't want to have to spend an extra $2 for each of my 33 heads.

Anyone know of a place where I can get swing joints for about $1.25 - $1.50 each?

By the time I get the pvc pipe, I'll be spending almost $1000 in parts to re-irrigate my back yard. Haven't thought much about the front yet.

But...when I'm done I'm sure it will be a thing of beauty.

7. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I left myself open for that one! I keep the valve assembly completely clear underneath (with rock) and use Lasco swing-joints. Aesthetically, we can't get away with the t-posts.

Does anyone here install faucets on a valve and program run times during the day so it's protected by the MV?

8. PurpHaze

The major problem you'll run into is the difference between retail and contractor prices. We build our own 1/2" swing joints for about $1.25 in materials ($1.87 for 3/4" and $3.75 for 1" sizes) but the price we get is basically a "preferred contractor" price because of our repeat business with our suppliers and the large amount of materials we purchase through them over time.

The same 1/2" swing joint would probably cost the homeowner in the 2-2.50 dollar range but that's just how it works. You may be able to take an entire parts list to a local supplier and if you purchase all the parts from them they may give you a break. It all depends on the supplier.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Ed, Before you put a hose bib on the mainline, you need to answer these questions:

Is this system on a Pump? If so, does it run off a Pressure Switch or a Pump Start Relay?

Does the System have a Master Valve?

10. PurpHaze

He's on domestic water supply and no MV. :)