Another is what do you think this mower is worth thread. please respond

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Feb 18, 2007.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I have been looking for a larger mower and have found a gent with a Hustler walkbehind late 90's early 2000 54"deck and 17 hp kawi 570 hrs on machine with sulky Just looking for a price that is reasonable. He has given me a price but I feel it is a little high.
    He also has a similar 37" 15 hp kawi for 800. it has 793 hrs. I am trying to get a idea of what they are worth and have looked at ebay but none listed at this time. Just looking to get a few machines larger than 21 and 36's
    thanks in advance.
    also I have to drive 180 miles to pick them up if I decide to do it.

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

17 is underpowered for a 54" deck. you didn't mention how much he wants for it.

3. sildoc

I know it would be a little under powered. He wants 1200. I think I can get him down to 1000. I figured I would run it hard and then put a 19 on it.

4. sildoc

Bump to the top. I meet with the guy tomorow looking for a rough price from those that have sold or seen them for sale. also is the 17 too under powered?

5. sildoc

bump bump darn bump

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

A 17hp v-twin engine will do just fine on a 54" deck as long as your not mowing overgrown wet grass. I have a 16hp v-twin Briggs Vanguard on a 50" deck and it does just fine as long as the grass isn't overgrown. The horsepower isn't what you should be considering instead it should be torgue and the kaw 17hp has plenty of torgue to get you through most things. Will it get you through grass that has grown for 2 weeks during the spring season probably not very well but if you cut every week you should be fine.