1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another, just starting out question...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rfd519, May 29, 2006.

1. Rfd519

Rfd519 LawnSite Member

Hey guys i know theres a ton of these questions BUT tomorrow im going to pick up a new 48" zt cub cadet. im looking to start getting a few accounts, but am unsure of how much to charge, such as a normal residential?? i have a decent backpack blower and weedeater. does anyone know of realestate companies contracting ppl to mow? thanks for the advice....BTW i have abour 3 years experience working for someone else, thanks for all teh replies

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Enough to pay for the mower, all other overhead, your labor, and profit.
  3. NonStop

NonStop LawnSite Member

You should also already know where your market is at price wise due to working in the industry for 3 years already. Be honest to your local market while meeting your financial obligations like PMlawn said.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto!! When you know what expences you have to cover, you will know what you need to make.
  5. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

I find there's no normal residential lawn. Each is a little bit different and takes more or less time... There for each job needs a unique price.

No one can tell you what to charge but it you take a few mins there are a few members that have posted a guide by sq ft that they have used.

Good luck

All Clear
  6. Rfd519

Rfd519 LawnSite Member

ive been in the business for 3 years unfortunatly it was working for my brother and he wasnt to eager to let me know the going rate for fear i would ask for more money seeing how he was paying me so low, which is why i decided to go out on my own, thanks a lot for all the info and replies!!! i appreciate it
  7. smcunningham

smcunningham LawnSite Senior Member

don't mow with your deck in either one of the top two deck height adjustments unless you have a extra belt.....it takes about two to three hours in either position and the belt will deteraite.the pulleys don't line up even close in either position.design flaw.....i thought.......untill i talk to a cub rep and he siad its because its a res mower and most home owners like 2 to 2half inch grass.... the second and third settings...although my opion to keep grass healthy it should be cut at 3 to 3and half inches im know expert though :usflag: :usflag:
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You are right, the big lawn treatment companies recommend a 3-inch minimum cut height because it is a natural weed reducer, shorter grass tends to promote the growth of weeds while taller grass inhibits it some... Which is not to say 3-inch lawns have no weeds but...

Personally, I prefer 3 inch heights. I find the higher the cut, the more the mower streaks and leaves uncut grass around. On the flipside, the lower the blades, the higher the risk of scalping and burning the lawn. For these reasons, I have found 3 inches to be the best compromise for my 48" proline, but that's just me.