another kohler problem?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mikesrepair, Jul 28, 2007.

1. mikesrepair

mikesrepair LawnSite Member

I have a Kohler Command Pro 25 on a Toro rider that is giving me fits! It was running poorly especially at higher rpms. I did a compression test and found a bad head gasket on one cyl.. I replaced it and it didnt help the performance much. I seems like when I get above half throttle it stumbles all over itself, i did a check on the spark advance module, and the ignition modules and they showed good. I flushed the fuel tank and cleaned out the carb.thinking maybe their was water in the fuel,but it didnt help. What am i missing? I still think it is a SAM problem but the repair manual test showed it to be ok. Is there anyone who has had this problem? Please help!

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

We've been finding out lately that just cleaning the carbs won't work. If you've already took it apart and soaked it then I would recommend a new carb. Have you also checked the valves, they could also be slightly out of adjustment which would make it miss and backfire.

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Did you do another compression test after replacing the gasket?

4. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

There is no Valve adjustment on Command series engines. I'd say start with a new carburetor and then look into the ignition system

This is why we always opt for the Kawasaki option.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Since no engine #s are posted I can only make a guess, Does this unit have an accelerator pump on the carb?

6. TOOMUCHWALKING

TOOMUCHWALKING LawnSite Member

I always wind up replacing carburetors on cars and mowers.Rebuilt sucks !

7. kellymctampa

kellymctampa LawnSite Member

start with changeing the spark plugs... espcially if they are champion plugs (throw them away and never go back)... i have piddled and piddled on a machine, doing all the complicated thing's, to find out, it was just the plugs....
    then try unplugging the grounds on the coils and run it to see if it makes a difference... if it does.... could be the kill wire rubbed thru and grounding somewhere when the engine is reving up or killswitch, safety switch.... good luck hunting!!!

8. John Stiles

John Stiles LawnSite Member

Fire it up at night and watch for arcing sparkplug wires/boots...just a thought. ~john