Another Leak Under Concrete

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Oct 10, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Elementary school about three years old. Spent the major portion of the day removing concrete and mud to get close enough to see what was causing the leak. Finally discovered that the 4" main line had pushed out of a tee causing the leak. Tee supplies a valve that operates some tree well bubblers. Probably had been leaking from the get-go and finally got big enough to push its way out of the sidewalk. Repairs and backfilling with wetted sand are on the agenda for tomorrow.

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-01.jpg

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-02.jpg

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-03.jpg

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-04.jpg

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-05.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I try to avoid having any fittings under concrete. Run huge sleeves and direct runs of pipe.

Saves a lot of concrete removal :)

At least you guys have a breaker on that bobcat.

3. PurpHaze

Our three newest schools were all designed by the same architect. There is no interior grass... just tree wells. In the words of one of our assistant superintendents, "Concrete is easier to maintain than grass." There's so much concrete that they discovered very quickly shade structures had to be added to keep things a little cooler during heat times. I don't design them... just repair them.

The third school just opened in August and the first two have both had main line leaks under concrete already. Spent the whole day yesterday performing a walkthrough on the newest school and noting/taking pictures of major system problems that need correcting.

4. PurpHaze

Kind of impossible when some of the runs are 300'. I'm talking about a completely concrete/asphalt-locked school site. Makes it kind of enjoyable when a problem exists out in the grass field area.

The two sayings I often hear:
    1. Job security.
    2. Eight hours in a day; it'll get done when it gets done.

Wouldn't be doing it without the breaker. I know a few guys (old farts, me included) that would be having serious down time from back problems if we didn't have it.

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Whats your strategy on fixin that? Using some of those fancy compression couplings? Another solvent weld joint? Might be kinda tough with no room to work with! :drinkup:

6. PurpHaze

You've been around too long now Koster. :laugh: Yup... Cut the old tee out, Dresser in a new tee, set new valve, etc. :)

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Atleast they only leak outside of the schools. My dad works at a church and his office flooded with like 2'' of water in it each morning a few years ago. Had leak finder person come out 3 times to try and identify the leak, where it was, etc. It would only leak at night not in the day time possibly due to higher static pressure in the city line. Turned out a 3'' galvanized mainline that runs under the building had pitted and was leaking. Pretty nasty repair, cutting floor then digging inside a damn building!

Before that I never knew water could go through concrete haha.

8. PurpHaze

Personal source of Holy Water??? :laugh:

Our secretary couldn't quite grasp the idea (when showing her the pictures) until I mentioned that hydraulic mining used to tear down entire mountains. :)

9. PurpHaze

Repair work was finished today. We'll turn the backflow back on tomorrow and she if she holds. :)

Now we just have to wait for the maintenance guys to pour concrete next week after things settle and dry out a bit.

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-06.jpg

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-07.jpg

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-08.jpg

Four Creeks Main Line Leak 10-10-06 IV-09.jpg

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Why did you replace the valve?