1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another lime thread

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kirk1701, Mar 29, 2009.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a few questions myself on the lime and started to post this in NEWINNJ thread as it might help answer his question. Then after I typed out a book I realized I might hi-jack his thread so. Hope this helps him some anyhow :rolleyes:

Pictures always speak louder then words so I try to use them when possibe to show change so here's a few.

One part of my front yard is a what I call "the troube area" due to the tree's which soak up a lot of the nutrients and is what I assume causes this whole side of the lawn to turn brown in the hot summer. Water, YES but don't seem to help, however a good rain will help it's just something about rain does the lawn wonders and is like a blessing from above where water from the hose just don't do much.

Now these pic's are from last year and to be fair I should note I was hit with double trouble last year due to the brown patch but this area always turns brown reguardless. Soil test were taken, which I will post a scan of because I really don't understand it and when it was explained to me it all went over my head just the same. However, looking back now at it I see a Lime area of 0.5 and if that is the pH level and with what I gathered from NEWINNJ thread the pH sould be 6 - 7 then what I did and my plan as of now seems to be what needs to be done to prevent it this year :clapping:

With that being said, I'll get to the pics. The first one was took last July and as you can see it looks brown from lack of water, NO I watered daily even through the drought. Not much I could do at this point but wait till weather broke and I put lime on somewhere around the beginning of Sept and the second pic was taken when I started reseeding on Sept 16. The third and fourth pics both taken exactly one week apart (Sept 23 and 30th) following the reseeding, then the last pic was taken after yet another lime application a month after the last pic on Oct 30.

My question being, am I on the right track to prevent it this year? I was told that leaves makes the soil acidic and to reverse that you will need double lime so I just here last week put 150 Lbs of lime just on this side in hopes that I can prevent the browning over the summer?

Scan of soil test to follow in proceeding post.

Sept 16.2008a.jpg

Sept 23, 2008a.jpg

Sept 30, 2008a.jpg

Oct 20, 2008a.jpg
  2. kirk1701

And here's the soil test results.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not really sure what those pH values are for ... soil or water .... but either way, you DO NOT need lime. What you do need is more organic matter. Find a good compost supplier and put down 1/4" layer on your yard.
  4. kirk1701

I did that last fall also, used compost as a top dressing when I reseeded.

Is that why this area stayed green all winter?
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Could be one reason. What normally happens in this area during the winter?
  6. kirk1701

No records to tell, the winter of 2007/ 08 it all stayed green but I thought it was something the lawn care service did or because it was new grass.

this past winter 08 into this year just that side stayed green but I did give it a hell of a lot of attention before winter came on :) The rest of the front just went into dorment when the first signs of 20 degree weather hit.

The reason I ask, I have a neighbor up the street who's fesque lawn stays green all winter no matter what and I would like to do what he does this year if possible.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, you need to get your soil organic matter up to 5-10% (note: this will take time)
    With respect to the recommendations from that report .... ignore them.
    Get a new soil test from a different lab.
  8. kirk1701

Exactly what I did Kiril.
    If I remember correctly see the numers at the bottom of the report.

I don't remember correctly but it was something like .40 and that was say potash I was low on and I needed to get it up to .40 and I could not get just potash I had to buy something with potash in it which was what they wanted to sell me.

Again, don't remember if it was specifically potash or something else, just using that as an example.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Based on that soil test, all you need is organic matter. One application is not enough. You will need to do at least 1 -2 applications of compost per year. I try to get down 1/4" - 1/2" per year depending on the soil.

P is not potash, it is phosphorous ... and you don't need that either. Inoculate your turf with mycorrhizae and that should take care of your P needs.

Your N needs may be met with your compost, depends on the source.
  10. kirk1701

Thanks Kiril.
    That soil test was last year so probably due for another one and psss. I've learned here to take it to the local extension office :)

At least they won't try to sell you something you don't need.

Like I said, put the compost down last fall so think I'll get a soil test before I do anymore on that side.

One last question, that 150 Lbs of lime I put down about two weeks ago has not seemed to hurt it yet but should I expect anything bad? I don't think I will but want to be sure.