Another Main Line Break

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 29, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

This is a break AND leak (two individual problems in same area) where an outside contractor installed 3" HDPE pipe through the original 4" PVC main line under a bus drive to "repair" the 4" line about 1-1/2 years ago. Didn't hold and now we're having to do it.

Only problem is that I've told the boss I don't guarantee the repair because of the HDPE's propensity to creep and that one of the connections we're working on didn't have stiffeners installed per repair coupling manufacturer's requirements meaning the HDPE may no longer be true to roundness. They welded a 3" x 4" "bell" where they made the connection on the one side and just didn't leave enough 4" to work with (via Dresser or Romac coupling) if there are problems.

Original contractor is coming out in the morning and welding a flange onto the end and then we'll bolt a Van Stone PVC flange onto it. We'll then be able to complete the 4" PVC reconnect. However... I still won't guarantee my work on this one. They poured a thrust block on the other side of the drive but if it's anything like we encountered today we'll still end up with excessive "rubber band" creep... coupled with the fact that a booster pump is on the system. Boss says if it fails again then we'll just go out and cut the asphalt, dig up the old pipe and re-do everything via our normal repair route which WILL hold.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow of the butt fusion welding since I've never seen it done up close and personal.

BTW... This is only Louie's second job using the Bobcat backhoe and he's doing one heck of a job for us. Gordon was brought out to give him OTJ training and by the end of the day was able to just totally back off. Leo, of course, is my regular partner and he really bullied me out of the hole several times today. They said I was pure white and thoroughly drenched from the 104 degree heat and made me go sit in the AC of my truck for awhile.

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-01.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-02.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-03.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-04.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-05.jpg

2. PurpHaze

Second set of pictures.

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-06.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-07.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-08.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-09.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-10.jpg

3. PurpHaze

Last set of pics for today. Couldn't get a resilient wedge gate valve on such short notice so had to install a regular gate valve and (UGH!!!) male adapters.

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-11.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-12.jpg

Oak Grove Main Line Break 8-29-07 IV-13.jpg

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Now that looks like fun!

Looking forward to tomorrows set of pics.

5. So what guarantee will you give them if the work is done properly in the first place, you'll come out of retirement and do the repair again :)

6. PurpHaze

When we get involved in repairs like this it is a lot of hard work but it's also fun because it's above and beyond the normal sprinkler changeouts that most in the district think is all we do.

I'll try and get some good ones. We'll be there before them and open things up and make sure they have enough room in the hole to do their welding. Then we'll partially backfill with sand to make a good working base for them and us. Reason I popped that 4" cap onto the HDPE was that we were still getting some dribble from that side of the main line. Once we get the sand in it'll absorb the water and still make for a safe working platform.

7. PurpHaze

Very doubtful because I'll be so far away. :)

As things are going right now it'll still be awhile before I retire. Housing market is slow and although we've had a few lookers nothing positive yet on selling the house. It may take some time but it's not like I HAVE to retire and move immediately.

8. PurpHaze

Gonna be an interesting day. It's 82 degrees outside already with a light and sound show (thunderstorm with no rain) playing. Feels like stepping out into a sauna. :cry:

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

High predicted here today is 75. Brutally hot. I may have to take off a jacket or something. :) Getting me in the mood for blowouts.

10. Oh shucks, you don't like to take airplane rides? :)

I do wish you luck in selling your house though. It is a tough market right now. The paper the other day said that 45% of the houses (not the new houses for sale)that are for sale in San Joaquin County are bank repos. That's one of the reasons I'm trying to come up with some cash to make a down payment on one of these properties. Rent it for awhile and then sell it for a profit. I'm young enough and will see the housing prices go back up. Heck it's the CA way.

Good luck working today, even up here at SFO airport, we had dry lightning and is humid. So no going to the Docs in my area to escape the weather.