Another Main Reroute

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Apr 21, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Had this one yesterday. Site custodian came into work and discovered a parking lot under water from a 2" main line break. After the tee the main dives under the asphalt parking area to a couple of valves out on an island by the street. Between the diving of the main and the pressure from the conduit above this line never stood a chance.

Royal Oaks B9-B10 Area Main Break IV-01.jpg

Royal Oaks B9-B10 Area Main Break IV-02.jpg

Royal Oaks B9-B10 Area Main Break IV-03.jpg

Royal Oaks B9-B10 Area Main Break IV-04.jpg

Royal Oaks B9-B10 Area Main Break IV-05.jpg

2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

nice work

I find it very interesting how often you end up using an elbow to change vertical position on lines. It would seem that all of your original subcontractors were very poor at maintaining line depth consistently. I swear to god that I'd go ballistic if I had to face these sorts of quality issues so frequently.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a whole lot of room left for that 90. How are you able to get by with using only a coupler on your reconnect? That 2" sched 40 doesn't flex that much does it?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

That looks like 3" class pipe to me, when looking at the 1.25" conduit next to it.

And yes, you can flex that into a 90 no problem.

5. PurpHaze

I've followed behind this particular contractor on MANY occasions... almost feel like I should be on their payrool. At one site we needed to have an old galvanized 2" QCV line (that supplied a small system in the kindergarten area) connected to the new 3" PVC main line they were installing as part of the contract. I actually had to go out and do the work because they didn't have anyone that knew how to connect PVC to galvanized. Sheesh! :dizzy:

6. PurpHaze

Actually... there was plenty of flex room. On 2" PVC pipe you really only need about 2" of flex to perform magic tricks. :)

One of my favorite answers when approached by the boss on something really off the wall: "I can only perform magic and you're looking for a miracle here. I don't feel like I'm the right guy for the job. Better check at the church down the street." :laugh:

7. PurpHaze

Uh, Jon??? You've only been away from the field for a very short time. Take a look at the original post. :laugh:

The main lines are 2" SCH 40 and the conduit is a pair of 1" lines. :)

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I step out of the mud for a few months and I forgot how to read.

9. PurpHaze

It's a real biatch, isn't it? But your fingernails are a lot cleaner now. :)

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Well... I'll probably never have a chance to flex and play with 2" pvc. I'm too stinking busy digging up and replacing Marlex - still.