Another mistake

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Scag48, May 24, 2007.

1. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My dad called me this morning, says he's buying a 257B from a guy about half hour away. Says he thinks he can pick it up for $22K, I have no idea how many hours are on it or the year, probably not more than 1,000, but it has a cab and A/C. Dad says he needs something to move blocks, he really only needs a machine with about 2200 ROC as blocks are unloaded off the truck by a 3 wheeler. Once they're on the ground a 2500 pound pallet can be moved fairly easily with a 2200 ROC machine.

Anyway, I think I'm just gonna let my dad burn himself this time. Tried to tell him it would be a huge mistake, he's not doing the kind of work anymore that would support the added cost of undercarriage wear and tear. All he's looking to accomplish is lift capacity and a tracked machine is a poor way to solve that problem. I guess my dad is just another noob who knows basically nothing about equipment and buys what is concieved to be the best machine available when you could probably get away with something a little cheaper to own and operate. Oh well, I can only do so much living 160 miles away. I guess the only way I can stop this from happening is to call the accountant (mom) and tell her not to authorize the check :rolleyes:

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I thought your dad wanted to get out of the landscape business ?

Why doesn't he rent a skid steer or buy a cheap used rough terrian forklift ?

How much block work is he plan on doing ?

For 22 grand you can hire some kids to push wheelbarrows. It sounds like your dad wants a new toy.

3. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I'd also discuss it with her and rediscuss with him... without having seen the UC (or the machine, for that matter), simply throwing 22k out there is a pretty big gamble.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I would simply give my input, if asked, and let it go from there...

5. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

WARNING, another ASV/CAT undercarriage comment. Working with a guy today that has a 277 on the job. I keep seeing him getting out and looking at the tracks/undercarriage. I ask what's wrong and he keeps hearing a grinding noise. I tell him to move it and I will listen. Well, we find the rear bottom large bogey completely eaten the bearing/axle. And then find a set of the small bogies bearings all gone too. They just put 10K into the other side undercarriage and other misc stuff and now this. And that machine has only been back on the job for 2 days since all the other work was just done. You can keep those machines and use them for boat anchors. There is a serious design flaw in that whole system when you can't even use it in a dirt/gravel situation without worrying about 25+ rubber bogey wheels getting all chewed up. I have said it before. If I could have a Bobcat/Takehuchi undercarriage and CAT controls, now you've got a machine.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

He's not getting out of landscaping, money is too good this year. The next 3 jobs he's on are all huge retaining wall jobs, he's starting to build a pretty good reputation for modular retaining walls. Rough terrain forklift is too big of a machine and it isn't versatile at all, you could have $15K tied up in a machine that only does one thing: lift pallets. Sounds like he's going to sell the 216 if he goes through with this plan.

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I would be very nervous buying a used track machine. I look at the conditions i run my wheeled machine in, and i could not imagine running a track machine in them and not killing the tracks. Next year i will need another machine, and chances are i will buy another wheeled machine. If i need a tracked machine, i will rent one.

I have a 246b and can move 3k pallets around no proablem. I can move 3800 lbs pallets around site, but its kinda hairy.

Business is great this year. I was all ready to buy a excavator and a truck last week. But...then i got to thinking and decided i did not want to make the mistake so many people do. I have no idea what business is going to be like in 6 months. I figure i am better of waiting and buying equipment out right and staying away from loans. That way, if business lows up, i am not sitting under 5k in monthly payments.

So i am not buying anything right now.

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If he doesn't need a machine on tracks he probably could find a standard skid steer. What is long term rent on a heavier skid steer ?

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

If I could have a Bobcat/Takehuchi undercarriage and CAT controls, now you've got a machine.

I think the TK pilot controls are very nice. I personally don't think the CAT pilots are any better.

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree that is a risky purchase even more so not a great application for that machine. I would imagine the unloading will be done on improved roads which will mean scubbing of the tracks. I would think a 246 would be a better match. He must really have a thing for those CTLs.