Another mowing bid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PaulJ, Feb 4, 2004.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually don't ask bid questions but, here it goes.

I have been asked to bid a couple properties that are larger than I normally do.

I work alone most of the time.
    I am using a 48" 23hp Hustler super walkbehind with a bullrider sulky and a large accelerator bagger (if needed).
    I usually trim and edge everything each visit with a trimmer that has an "edgit" on it. then I mow, bagging only if the growth is so much that the clippings don't disperse well. I run double blades on the mower. then I blow off the walks with a hand held blower.

The first one is a town house/condo type. I think its four units. All one building.
    Just over 35000 sqft of turf on a almost 50000 sq ft corner lot. 2600 linear ft of sidewalk and drive edge. Mostly open areas but there is a drive around the back and out the other side.

I'm not asking for a price specifically because I know that can vary from area to area, but how much time on average would you figure for this property?

They are also asking for a fertilizer bid because they want one company to do both.

I figure about 2 to 2.5 hours for mowing @$40 per manhour (that's high per manhour here so don't tell me how you get $60!) = $80-$100 per cut

About $170 per application for a 5 step fert program with weed control.

What do you think of the mowing times I am figuring?

photo22009.jpg

2. PaulJ

The second property is an apartment building. The mangers said they only wanted mowing every two weeks, but the turf looks like it grows fast and thick enough that it should be mowed every week at least in the spring and fall.

It is about 51000 sq ft of turf on a 104000sq ft lot. a drive goes around the back and there is parking stalls in pairs in the front and back. The building is shaped sort of like a V. Pretty wide open except for small squares of turf between the parking stalls and along the building.

I figure about 3-3.5 hrs for mowing and trimming/edging. I was going to say $125-$140 for weekly mowing or $175-$200 for bi weekly. (the grass still grows even if you don't cut it every week, right?).

5 step fert program with weed control for this is about $230 per application.

What do you think of this one?

photo22013.jpg

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Your prices seems ok (little low), I dont know prices for your area though. I would be very concerned about the "two week" one. It can be a PITA in spring. I would definately lay out in cotract that you are only to cut 1/3 the length of blade (Most mower manufacurers recomendations). If it is 6 inches when you show up, it gets cut 4 inches high. If you dont, they may want you to cut 6 inches down to 2 inches and make it look good at same price. Also do a walk around with manager to check for previous damage from prior lawncare guys (dented down spouts, fence damage, siding scuffs and dents, ect.) so you wont get the blame for other guys messups.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with PJ.We use a form i designed in with the bid packet that outlines the entire property condition when we start(tree conditions, edging,diseases noted,dead/dying shrubbery,state of beds,grass condition,sprinkler heads,vinyl siding if close to a trimming area, berms,sidewalks,etc.) I then verify my findings with the property manager, and make them sign off on the sheet.This leaves nothing to question about the care we provide to them, as well as eliminating repairs / green replacements due to damages from the last LCO on the site.

PS- Don't take on any properties on a two week cut rotation.You are asking for problems..If they won't agree to weekly service, thank them for their time, and find something else.JMHO

5. PaulJ

Thanks guys for the great input. Thats a good idea about documanting any damge/trouble spots before starting. I will really push for weekly mowing.

6. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me with your equipment it should only take you 1.5 hours max. However I could not tell for sure just by the picture. For my area the price seems about right though.