another mulch question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigmudder77, Apr 10, 2007.

1. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

ok so i need to know how much to charge for a mulch job i am gonna charge them $20 a yard for just the like dark mulch and i need help on the math part how would i go about finding how much i would need? also what would i charge an hour? i know this has been talked about on here but i just wanted to ask again since i cant find that thread.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

measure the beds, then decide how thick you are going to want to install the mulch. do the beds need edged? this will also factor into what you charge them.
  3. bigmudder77

and how do you find out how much you will ned by that? i know the steps to take i need to know how to find out how much i will need
  4. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

You need to follow the steps that JODI said to find out how much you need.
    At the top of this page is a tab that says FREE TOOLS there is a calulator in there to find what your looking for 27cu ft in a cubic yrd.Here is the calc.
  5. bigmudder77

thanks that really helps me out
  6. outcold00

outcold00 LawnSite Member

sorry bigmudder, dont wanna steal the thread from you but i have a ? when your mulching and getting paid by the yard. do you still charge an hourly fee?
  7. Equalizer

Equalizer LawnSite Member

outcold00, what I did was charge for the job. I did a 332 sq.ft. garden, mulched it, and weeded it, it took about 2.5 hours and i charged her 160 for the job, she even went out and got me a seafood lunch, lol.
  8. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Measure the beds that you will be mulching and figure them out as even squares. Figure out your total sqaure footage and desired thickness and then use the calculator on this site to help you figure out how much mulch you need. If the beds don't need any prep work other than a little weeding, I charge about 65 a yard to do light weeding and spreading. If the beds need to be edged, trenched, and weeded before spreading, then I measure out in linear feet how much prep, edge, and trenchwork needs to be done. I know how much I can do per hour and then I just add in my hourly fee and then I don't markup the mulch. For a newbie like me, I found that way to be the simplest. Just my 02
  9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

$20.00 a yard is way to low. $60-$80 is the basic going rate,the more the customer wants the lower the price.
  10. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

I think he was talking about 20 a yard before adding his markup and/or hourly fee