1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another new customers thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by T.E., Apr 24, 2004.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I have been reading the thread that was started by Victor, and I have some questions. What do you all tell people when they call and want weed & fert programs? The lawn is in such terrible condition that 6 app. program will not bring it into shape!

Example : I have an account that no pre-emergent was put down last year. They already have broadleaf weeds, and are starting to get grassy weeds! I think they need a pre-m and broadleaf app. plus msma for grassy weeds. Problem is right now it is too cool here that msma will not kill the grassy weeds. My point is if I take care of the broadleafs and the grassy weeds plus the ferts they will have more than 6 apps. this year. Does anybody else have this problem with new customers ? I have been thinking of telling all new customers that the 6 step program I use is for maintaining a lawn not for getting one in order. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Tony
  2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Tony, be honest with people, if you think your program will not help and its not time to seed or they dont want to spend the money ( to seed ) then tell them.

I walk away from many lawns knowing what I do wont help, and most people thank you for not taking there money.

Sometimes in spring I will sell that type of lawn for one app now, (weed & feed ) then schedule a slice seed or aer & seed for late summer and finish off with a treatment in fall.

That way there on the books as a customer and your saving them some money.
  3. greenerpastures

greenerpastures LawnSite Member

honesty is the best policy.

But I find these type of lawns to be the best advertisement for my service. No you will not have a perfect lawn in one season, but if it is in as bad of shape as you describe, you can make a dramatic improvement with as little as 3 apps. When the owner ( and neighbors) see what a difference you are making, you will probably have a customer for a long time and more of his neighbors as well. I occasionally will even make that extra treatment at no cost in order to bring the turf up to a level I can accept and better coordinate the lawn with my regular treatment schedule.
  4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Set realistic expectations and do the best you can....
  5. spray guy

spray guy LawnSite Member

See what their budget is and what their main concerns are. If this
    lawn is worth treating with some extra treatments besides the normal 6 step program which you already have in place or is it more cost effective to renovate and start all over?