1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Another new employee wanting paid lunch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justgeorge, Mar 23, 2005.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

OK, so I'm on my first paid job in business yesterday, a mulch job. Employee asks me, "do I get paid for lunch"? Of course, it was my 16 year old son on his first real job; he's caddied before but he was always done by 10:30am at that job. (He's on spring break this week).

I had to explain to him that 9 to 5, although 9 hours, is only an 8 hour day.....

Raining today!

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

thats ***** up ! every co i know pays lunch . what about in the morning and evening who unloads and loads the equipment . i tell my guys thats how you get a paid lunch .

watch your language
  3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

We pay employees for lunch. I dont know if they have a 30 min or an hr so its to hard to keep track so i just pay it.
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

9 to 5 is only 8 hours not 9.
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, we do pay their lunch break. 1/2 hour.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My guys usually eat in between jobs. Bit, I don't care too if they also stop now and then as well.
  7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

OK - so why would landscape maintenance positions be the ONLY job in the modern world to pay for lunch hours? I can see it if they're eating on the run but if they're sitting at Wendy's for 30 minutes, why should they get paid?

Is this how we compensate for paying crappy wages in the first place? If this is the case, bump the wage up a quarter an hour if it makes you feel better but there's no reason someone should be paid for non-productive hours. I realize sitting in the truck travelling from account to account isn't necessarily "production" but it's part of the job and should be paid for as are other routines at the beginning and end of the day.

Lunch is about a time of rest, getting a meal and time "free from the responsiblities of the job". If you are free from the responsibilites of the job, I'm free from having to pay you for it. What's next, paying them from the time they leave their house and travel to work and home again after work? After all, this isn't necessarily "their time" either.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I remember when one of my employees was trying to tell me that he was required an hour lunch. Sorry bud, 15 mins every 4 hours
  9. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I do pay lunch but lunch is usually on the run. Maybe sitting on the trailer between jobs. However sometimes I stop at the lake and eat by the water if its a nice day. Hardly ever more than 15 minutes but no matter what it is I pay them. As long as they are getting paid no one complains.
  10. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, in Washington anyway, it's a question of law. Here in Wa you do not have to pay lunch IF you do not require your employee to be at any one location AND if they are NOT working. So how this translates is that you do not have to pay lunch for landscapers IF it's ok for them to just abandon the truck somewhere for 30 min. This simply isn't the case in this business. Most other business, especially those with vans, don't care if the employee leaves the van, just as long as it's locked up.

In other words you have to pay lunch if they are working, and being responsible for equipment is working.